Liquid Sausage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shagington

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP830 - German Lager Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 10
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 120
Color: 14
Alcohol By Volume: 6%
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 58
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 50

Grains:
15 lbs. Weyermann Smoked Malt
3 lbs. Weyermann Pilsener Malt
5 Lbs. Weyermann Munich Malt
1 lb. Weyermann Caramunich Malt
1 lb. Weyermann Carahell Malt

Hops:
1.0 oz. Saaz Pellet Hops (5.8% AAU) (60 min)
2.00 oz. Liberty Pellet Hops (3.5% AAU) (60 min)
1.0 oz. Saaz Pellet Hops (5.8%AAU) (15 min)

Additives:
2 Tblspn Five Star 5.2 pH Stabilizer (Added at the mash)
1 Tsp Irish Moss Fining (15 Min)

Yeast:
WLP830 German Lager Yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------
Grain Lbs: 25
Water Gal: 13

Protein Rest Temp : 130F Time: 30 min
Saccharification Rest Temp : 156F Time: 60 min
Mash-out Rest Temp : 166F Time: 20 min
Sparge Temp : 175F Time: 10 min
Boil Time: 120 min
Cool to 60F and Pitch Yeast

This is a continuation off of my original post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rauchbier-my-first-recipe-liquid-sausage-91428/

I brewed this on Sunday, December 14, 2008. Man what a nice day to brew! When I went to pick up the supplies at my local Homebrew supply store, the owner gave me the Samuel Jackson look. You know, his classic "Motherf*****! What the hell are you doing?!" look.

Brew day went off without a hitch and things ran smoothly. My chiller plate is busted, but because it is pretty cold here in Newark, Delaware I let it sit out in the garage airtight in the conical fermenter overnight. The temperature dropped to 60F and I pitched the yeast the next day, Monday December 15, 2008, at 12 noon. It is now Wednesday, December 17, 2008 and there is no visible activity, but it is a lager so I did not expect to see much at this moment in time. I'll keep everyone posted on this journey to Liquid Sausage.

Definitely keep us posted! When we have the final tasting notes, let me know so I can stick the recipe back into the database.

I've always been both intrigued and afraid of making a smoked beer- I think I've heard how long an overdone smoked beer can take to mellow. I'd love to give this a try, though.

So I know it's been awhile, but they say good things come to those who wait. I cracked open a bottle of my "Liquid Sausage Lager", or Rauchbier about a week and some change ago. And, I also gave about a case of this delicious beer away to random friends and homebrewers. While many had were skeptical at first about this beer and taking a bottle off my hands all of them came back with praise and an empty bottle to exchange for a new full bottle of the beer. So to put it very roughly and in the words of so many of my friends, "Andrew, This beer is amazing! Hey, can I have another?"

So with regards to tasting notes... The beer is very much a Marzen/Oktoberfest with smoky overtones, pouring a nice clear deep amber color, with a half inch head of white delicate bubbles. When I stuck my nose into the glass I get a very malty aroma with a smokey backbone, there is a bit of earthy/floral aroma from the hops, but it is not a punch in the face. At that first sip you are hit with a sweet smokey maltiness taste. You can also detect the earthy/floral hop bitterness, but it is not prominent. In the end both myself and friends reckon the flavor to beef jerky, I might see what a little dry hopping with caraway seeds will do, who knows Pastrami on Rye Bread?

Enjoy! I know I have, I'm down to my last case. So sad to say goodbye. :D

Latest posts

Back