Outdoor oven.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any one have one.

I have a large grill/bbq that allows me to cook off the flame so that acts like an oven but I've been thinking about building a oven for a while and it'sd now getting to the top of the list.

I've had a few thoughts.
I'd ultimately like some type of rocket stove design that'd allow for oven and pot style cooking possibly big enough to brew beer on.
I don't think I'm going to do that this time round.

My main train of thought is an adobe style oven. If I do that I need to decide if it needs a chimney.

I've been side tracked though because I'm also thinking anbout a tandori style oven.
I wonder if this type is to simple and restrictive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCNkauNujlw]YouTube - making bread in Tajikistan[/ame]

Any one got any experience or thoughts?

Way back, when I first started cooking Indian food, I made a portable tandoor using a large terracotta flower pot, vermiculite, concrete, and some fireplace bricks - contained in a small steel barrel. Total cost was probably less than 25 dollars. I got the idea to build one from our neighbor, who had one and used it in lieu of a grill.

It wasn't the prettiest thing, but it made some amazing naan, chicken tikka, and lamb kabobs. Also, since it weighed less than 50lbs, we would put it in the back of the car and take it to family gatherings/picnics.

I haven't used it in years, but I think it's at my parents place.

Way back, when I first started cooking Indian food, I made a portable tandoor using a large terracotta flower pot, vermiculite, concrete, and some fireplace bricks - contained in a small steel barrel.

While this sounds cool I'm having a hard time picturing it... :cross:
Do you have a photo or a diagram you could post? :eek:

Here is a flower pot tandoor (with instructions) that is very similar to the one I made.

How to build a tandoor using a flower pot

The only main differences between his tandoor and mine, is that I used a 16 gallon steel barrel (with side air hole) instead of a copper pot. I found the steel barrel to be the perfect size, as a large terracotta pot fit perfectly inside and the top was already cut off. The whole tandoor was just over 2 feet tall and around 15 inches wide.

Besides that, I poured about an inch of concrete onto the bottom of the barrel which I used to set the firebrick. The terracotta rested upside down on the firebrick, with the air holes aligned; everything cemented with pottery clay. I filled in the space around the terracotta with vermiculite and sand, and put a thin layer of concrete around the top, which I covered with clay.

Here is a really nice homemade tandoor, though not portable.

eG Forums -> Homemade Tandoor

Hope this helps! :D

Wow - there is some pretty impressive stuff on those links. So is the basic principle of these ovens that you have a lot of bricks (or similar) to provide thermal mass, that you start a fire inside your oven, and when everything is mad hot, you shove the coals to one side and cook food in the residual heat? That's old school! :mug:

Wow - there is some pretty impressive stuff on those links. So is the basic principle of these ovens that you have a lot of bricks (or similar) to provide thermal mass, that you start a fire inside your oven, and when everything is mad hot, you shove the coals to one side and cook food in the residual heat? That's old school! :mug:

An adobe oven can cook a pizza in 2-3 minutes. For this reason, many people, at least on this side of the pond, call them pizza ovens. The temps are usually 700-900 F (350-500 C). The shape of the dome radiates the heat to the center of the floor. The size and shape of the door and chimney produce a convection current.

I would imagine that there are some Italian restaurants in the UK that employ this type of oven.

I have always wanted to build something along these lines;

1452157.jpg

Although some of the plans here; http://heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm are a bit more realistic.

The "dome" is ideal for baking, as previously stated. Depending on what you are looking for, I can see this working quite well with a pot on top of it. I'd imagine that you would have to have the inside a bit too hot to cook in if you're looking to boil on top of it though

*edit*
Forgot to mention, I used to work with a guy who was from Romainia. He had helped build several of these, on a larger scale. He told me quite a cool trick. Before they laid the bottom slab (the base of the oven) they would fill the bottom with broken glass. In some cases they would do the same on the outside (if the interior was smaller than the exterior) The theory was that the glass would melt and help in heat retention/conductivity. Think of it as the poor mans ceramics lining...

Back