Good thermometer for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewthunda

Reaction score
I'm ordering parts for my first kegerator and I'm wondering where to buy good cheap digital thermometers. I was thinking of building a little control panel outside of the kegerator with fridge and tower temp readouts, fan switch, etc. and would like something with a small remote readout that can be mounted on a panel. Where would I find something like this?

How about a good thermometer for measuring the temp of beer in the glass?

Thanks,

Brewthunda

Thanks - those are good links! I'm not really looking for a controller. I think this might work for my kegerator/tower temp monitor:

ThermoWorks – RT8100 Fridge/Freezer Alarm Thermometer

RT8100-Fridge-Freezer-2.gif

Thanks - those are good links! I'm not really looking for a controller. I think this might work for my kegerator/tower temp monitor:

ThermoWorks – RT8100 Fridge/Freezer Alarm Thermometer

I know you are not looking for a controller but for the price difference, I would go for the controller over what you are looking at. The controller will show you the exact temperature and you can change it to exactly what you want in a snap. Trying to dial in a specific temperature with the little dials in refrigerators is not fun.

Personally, I have a refrigerator that is a catch all for all cooling needs. I use it for fermenting, crash cooling, extra storage during parties, etc... I even have a reptile heater in it for fermenting in the winter (it's in the garage). The temperature controller means it takes 5 seconds to go from a 'secondary fermentation chamber' to a 'crash cooling chamber'. It's fantastic.... just my 2 cents.

I know you are not looking for a controller but for the price difference, I would go for the controller over what you are looking at. The controller will show you the exact temperature and you can change it to exactly what you want in a snap. Trying to dial in a specific temperature with the little dials in refrigerators is not fun.

Personally, I have a refrigerator that is a catch all for all cooling needs. I use it for fermenting, crash cooling, extra storage during parties, etc... I even have a reptile heater in it for fermenting in the winter (it's in the garage). The temperature controller means it takes 5 seconds to go from a 'secondary fermentation chamber' to a 'crash cooling chamber'. It's fantastic.... just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the tip. I really do just want something to monitor the temp in a built-in kegerator and tower though. I'll probably buy a temp controller when I set up a brewing fridge. We've got an extra fridge and a chest freezer that I think I can persuade my wife to donate to the cause.

Thanks again!

You may find the thermostat in your kegerator won't allow you to keep constant temperatures within the range you're looking for. This is especially true for kegerators made from chest freezers.
As ajwilly's said. I don't think it would be worth it to save 19 dollars for just a thermometer when you get a temperature controller that is accurate +-1° and is fully programmable in everyway from Rest Temp, to temp flucation. You may find you firdge/freezer thermostat has too large of a temp swing between turning the compressor on and off. I put a LOVE in mine and it's awesome changing between a fermentation cabinet set to 65 and a kegerator set t0. Just set the number and forget it. instead of figeting with the dial, waiting an hour, taking a temp, adjusting again, witing an hour, blah blah blah. One time of not having to do that is worth the $19 dollars. At least my personal time is worth at least $20 an hour to me.

You may find the thermostat in your kegerator won't allow you to keep constant temperatures within the range you're looking for. This is especially true for kegerators made from chest freezers.
As ajwilly's said. I don't think it would be worth it to save 19 dollars for just a thermometer when you get a temperature controller that is accurate +-1° and is fully programmable in everyway from Rest Temp, to temp flucation. You may find you firdge/freezer thermostat has too large of a temp swing between turning the compressor on and off. I put a LOVE in mine and it's awesome changing between a fermentation cabinet set to 65 and a kegerator set t0. Just set the number and forget it. instead of figeting with the dial, waiting an hour, taking a temp, adjusting again, witing an hour, blah blah blah. One time of not having to do that is worth the $19 dollars. At least my personal time is worth at least $20 an hour to me.

Thanks for the advice. This is actually going to be used with a Summit built-in, under counter kegerator that's supposed to be able to keep kegs at drinking temp pretty well. I really just want to be able to monitor the keg and tower temperature as I fine tune the kegerator's temp sensor and my tower fan. I don't think a temp controller would do me much good when it comes to tuning my tower temp. And I'm definitely going for a temp controller as soon as I start home brewing - but that will be in our chest freezer

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back