OH NO - made a big mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
I was chatting with my neighbor when I realized I just put the full 1 oz of Williamette in the 5 gallon boil instead of the reduced amount accounting for the full 5 gallons. IS there any way to reduce the hop utilization and keep it from being overly hoppy?

This is a porter kit. Can I boil is for less time?? Man, ehat a rookie mistake that was... got to pay more attention to my brew schedule....

reducing the boil time will reduce isomerization (bittering effect from the hops) but it will leave more residual hop flavor / aroma and reduce water evaporation.

HUH??? Accounting for the reduced amount what???

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Post your recipe including the hop schedule....then we'll be able to help.

Hmmm - ok thanks.
If this will leave more residual hop flavor, should I reduce the amount of hops I add on flame out?

Revvy - I am talking about the basic instructions of a kit - they are written for a partial boil, not a full 5 gallon boil. Gotta reduce the hops that come in the kit if you do a full boil.

You won't notice the difference of 1-3 more IBU's. Ignore the mistake and proceed like normal. I wouldn't classify this as a big mistake. Hell, its barely registers on the mistake chart.
Hop utilization is already a crapshoot with so many virtually uncontrollable variables for the home brewer. Your 'calculated' IBU ESTIMATE numbers already have a significant +/- error in them anyway. We aren't BMC, we don't have a lab to measure this crap nor to we need to hit exact numbers.

Or

RAHAHB

This is beer, not splitting sub atomic particles.

+1

RAHAHB

IMHO, robust porters (I am not sure what style of porter you are brewing) do well with a moderate to high hop level. I am a huge fan of Stone's Smoked Porter and it is very hoppy. Below is my Dawg Pound Porter. It has a fair hop flavor and aroma along with bitterness that balances well with the roastyness of the brew (better than you would think).

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Dawg Pound Porter
Brewer: Chris Couevas
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.34 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 35.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.20 %
0.88 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.99 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.81 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.54 %
0.25 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.27 %
0.13 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 1.18 %
3.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 46.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 11.01 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
40 min Single Infusion Add 13.76 qt of water at 171.1 F 155.0 F

While you're technically right, the utilization will be greater if you do a full 5 gallon boil, you'll never notice it in the finished product. Now, if you accidently dropped an entire country ham in the wort, that would be a major mistake. Or, if you put any vanilla in it. I did that once. That was a major mistake.

brrman said:
Revvy - I am talking about the basic instructions of a kit - they are written for a partial boil, not a full 5 gallon boil. Gotta reduce the hops that come in the kit if you do a full boil.

So your kit gave you two different hop amount depending on the size of your boil...Wow, I've never come across a kit that did that..

Now I understand.

I think JimC said it best...

You won't notice the difference of 1-3 more IBU's. Ignore the mistake and proceed like normal. I wouldn't classify this as a big mistake. Hell, its barely registers on the mistake chart.
Hop utilization is already a crapshoot with so many virtually uncontrollable variables for the home brewer. Your 'calculated' IBU ESTIMATE numbers already have a significant +/- error in them anyway. We aren't BMC, we don't have a lab to measure this crap nor to we need to hit exact numbers.

Or

RAHAHB

This is beer, not splitting sub atomic particles.

You'll be fine....

If you've heard the latest from Palmer about IBU's you'll understand how much of a crapshoot it is...

March 20, 2008 - What Is an IBU . . . Really?
John Palmer, author of How to Brew, shares information from a conference that challenged his concept of what defines an International Bitterness Unit (IBU).

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-20-08ibu.mp3

All the Northern Brewer extract kits (this was not one) give hop schedules for partial boil, in the instructions they say to reduce the bittering hops by 25-50% when doing a full boil...

Anyways - Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the wort off the flame 10 minutes early. Not sure if that will do anything. I left everything else the same... I'll drink it in any case...

cheers
Bryan

I'm with everyone else. An extra half ounce of a low AA hop isn't gonna affect you much at all. I'm sure you'll love it.

i dont think an oz of williamette in the boil is gonna over power your beer. it's a pretty low/moderate aa, maybe five?

McSwiggin' said:
I think you really screwed the pooch on this one, send the batch to me and I can take care of it for you!

On second thought, I retract my original statement. Your beer is ruined. You need to finish letting it ferment, bottle it, then send it out for proper disposal by certified beer disposal unit. Happens that I recently passed said certification test and would be happy to handle this mess free of charge.

JimC, I appreciate you taking the bullet and offering to dispose of the beer, but this is something a seasoned veteran should handle.

Winesburg Ale said:
While you're technically right, the utilization will be greater if you do a full 5 gallon boil, you'll never notice it in the finished product. Now, if you accidently dropped an entire country ham in the wort, that would be a major mistake. Or, if you put any vanilla in it. I did that once. That was a major mistake.

So wait...country ham isn't a good ingredient in a porter? How about bacon?

;)

LOL - I thought I would go ahead and update.
The porter is doing great, I took a sample with the thief and WOW it tastes awesome - just hoppy enough to make me pucker. MMM MMM!
Gonna let it condition for another couple weeks (if I can keep the willpower).

Back