Where can I find info on yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
Is there a good site that gives info on different yeasts? I am looking both because I am looking to learn, and I have been looking into some recipes that do not list a specific yeast to use.

Thanks.

I'm doing an IPA tomorrow and i've got Safale T-58 and S-33 for yeast.I was thinking i'll use both(10gal batch in 2 fermentors).Any thoughts?
Cheers

I was looking at a couple of recipes for a hoppy brown ale (extract), but they didn't mention yeast.

Any suggestions?

If you are looking to make an American style brown (with American, citrusy hops) I would use a clean, well attenuating American ale yeast (WLP001, Wyeast 1056, US-05).

If you are looking to make an English style brown then I would use an Enlgish yeast. If you want low attenuation (more residual sweetness) go with something like WLP002. If you want it less sweet go with something like WLP005. Nottingham might be a good choice if you are looking for a dry yeast.

Onescalerguy said:
I'm doing an IPA tomorrow and i've got Safale T-58 and S-33 for yeast.I was thinking i'll use both(10gal batch in 2 fermentors).Any thoughts?
Cheers

When you bottle, you should indicate on the bottles which batch each bottle came from. That way you can semi-scientifically learn the difference between the 2 strains, and then you can post back here and share your impressions! :mug:

Okay, I am going to bring this thread back up because I want opinions on something not really worth its own thread...

We are going to brew the following recipe, that is supposed to be a hoppy brown ale that is somewhat based on the Dogfish India Brown Ale:

6.88 lbs. Light DME
1.00 lbs. 60L
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt
2.00 oz Nugget 60 min
1.00 oz Willamette 10 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold 5 min
1.00 oz Willamette Dry Hop

I have the following dry yeasts available:
Nottingham
Windsor
Safale US-05

Any thoughts on which yeast would be the best?

Thanks.

I'd probably go with the Safale just because DFH is an American style, but I usually use liquid yeast, so I'm not the voice of experience here!

Back