Tannin extraction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrundleCruncher

Reaction score
During my partial mash(7lb) i think the wort was soured with tannin extraction.
I held the mash at 150, the did a decoc. for the mash out. I think my sparge water may have been a little too hot because when I tasted the wort before I boiled it, it was bitter and tangy.
Will my finished product be worth drinking, or will the tannins overpower the malty goodness?

I was uncomfortable pouring the boiling decoc. wort back in but I was assured it was ok, how easy is tannin extraction?

Your beer will be fine, I doubt you extracted too much tannin. What was the sparge temp? Do you know what your mash pH was? A low pH and hot sparge would indicate some tannin extraction, but it's not something that you should stress over. I'd say give the beer some time to age and I bet it will turn out great.

It's actually a rising pH that favors tannin extraction, most often quoted as >6. There's no way you extracted tannins if you did a thick decoction as your pH would have been a good deal lower. Now, if you oversparged (unrelated to the decoction) with too hot sparge water, that could lead to tannin extraction.

Tangy and/or sour wouldn't be an indication of tannin extraction, anyways, which imparts more of an astringency than sourness. I think your beer will be fine.

Back