What kit should I buy to start brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aspiring home brewer,I think midwest has a great deal for their basic starter kit @ $65. Options can be added like beer kits,brew kettles,bottles,etc. Their beer kits are fresh & work great.

The best advice I could give is to find a Local Home Brew Supply store. Go in and look at the equipment and ask questions. It's much nicer to look at what you're buying first hand instead of what's in a catalog picture. Brew Stores also have starter kits all ready for you.

My local store guy answered any and all questions I had and still have. He wants you to enjoy your experience and brew good beer as well.

Gary

As stated, try and locate a local Brew Supply store near you.

I am a newbie like you and have only brewed 2 batches so far. If you don't have a BSS near you you can use the internet. The 1 I got for X-Mas is The Brewers Best Premium Kit that was onsale for $90. It has all you need to start other than the Stainless Steel Kettle (which you may already have). Has 2 6.5 buckets and a 5 gallon carbouy in it. Not a bad kit for under a hundo. They have many brew kits as well for easy and intermidiate brewers. The kits have everything you need to brew a 5 gallon batch and range from around $25-$40 for most of the easy Ale's and $40+ for most of the IPA's and Lagers.. You can piece together cheaper ingredient kits yourself now if you want or after you get more experience (what I plan to do).. I got the Ale ingredient kit at the local store for $29..

If you can't find a store near you, here are the links on Amazon.. Again, i am nothing more than a newbie like you, so I am sure people on here can give better examples. Just giving my review on my starter kit and brew..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC55H24/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006M3V0V2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I would take a look at, http://www.windriverbrew.com/apprentice.html
This comes with a brewing ingredient kit and they will let you choose from any ingredient kit they sell, it will be + or - the difference in price if its not one of the 12 ingredient kits that come with the apprentice kit.

Great people too.

Cheers :mug:

Wow, So that kit includes pretty much everything and and an ingredient kit for around $65... Man, that is a great deal..

Wow, So that kit includes pretty much everything and and an ingredient kit for around $65... Man, that is a great deal..

Yes it is a Great Deal, and they will let you customize your order without any problem, I ordered this kit to replace some equipment and asked if I could get all 6 1/2 gal buckets without spigot holes, it was not a problem at all, they even sent the spigots anyway.

Try that somewhere else, the answer will be No we can't do that. :mad:

Nice people, great service, quality product at a great price, and the ability to mix and match, and of corse they will also add anything to your order, same as the other places too.

This is hands down the best deal going for a starter kit. :ban:

Cheers :mug:

Thanks guys, I just got back from a local spirits shop. Like y'all said they were really helpful and I picked up a starter kit! Thanks for all the help! Can't wait to begin

For everyone still looking for a good starter kit, I just picked this one up for a great deal.

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2013/01/its-back-midwest-living-social.html

It's very similar to the one that you guys posted but this one comes with a $25 gift certificate to Midway.
I just picked this up as my first starter kit.

I also bought this kit. Been kicking myself since they had them around October and jumped on the deal this time. With 2 beer kits, $80 shipped seems like a pretty solid start. I look forward to reading more here and getting in to this hobby. I plan on starting with the Irish stout.

When I first got started I went dark to light, stout to ipa. Darker beers are more forgiving of mistakes and help you get your process dialed in. By all means, support the lhbs, but a good kit to order if you want is caribou slobber from northern brewer.

Latest posts

Back