Anyone else drink Carlo Rossi for the gallon jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use it to cook with and the bottles are a bonus.

Yeah yeah I know .. Blah blah French .. do not cook with what you would not drink. The sauces you can make with it are really good.

They make excellent test fermentation carboys.

I'm new and i would like to try "Mini brews" with my own recipes just to figure out what i can do.

Thank god I don't have to do the drinking. My Father in Law drinks that stuff like there's no tomorrow so I have a steady supply of empty jugs whenever I want them.

A friend in my homebrew club gave me three of those one gallon 'carboys' and they really are useful. Use them to make up smaller amounts of sanitizer, use one in my blowoff tube arrangement, use it to make starters, just handy to have around.

I'm lucky. My wife is the wine drinker (no gluten), so she gets the wine and I get the jugs. Win-Win. Doing my first gallon brews tomorrow...i have 9 in stock.

The only sad part is when you try to get her to drink MORE. (not there yet...we will see how my single gallon batches go)

Had to google gluhwein. Thanks for sharing will need to try that out.

No problem. Any recipe you can find is probably good, I use oranges, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and sometimes nutmeg or allspice. Just make sure you don't boil it, and serve it nice and hot. It's one of my favorite things in the winter.

Look around where you live for umm, low class Italian Restaurants. I found one around me that only poured Carlo Rossi wines by the glass and they would save me all of their empties. They would only go through maybe one or two a week, but that adds up in your collection over time.

I'm lucky. My wife is the wine drinker (no gluten), so she gets the wine and I get the jugs. Win-Win. Doing my first gallon brews tomorrow...i have 9 in stock.

The only sad part is when you try to get her to drink MORE. (not there yet...we will see how my single gallon batches go)

Do you ever make her cider?

I use the Carlo Rossi Sangria as the base of my sangria. Add some fruit, sugar and a bunch of brandy, both plain and flavored (i.e. blackberry, peach)). People love it.

I can only stomach the burgundy, but I have a ton of jugs now!

I use the burgundy in spaghetti sauce (it's great), and in my famous "sweet and sour meatballs"- the kind without pineapple, similar to a sweet BBQ sauce.

A #6 stopper fits well, I have enough jugs that I store star-san in one of them!

Do you ever make her cider?

Yes, cider was a big hit!!! Second batch in the primary and taking it's sweet time. She liked the cider better than Carlos Rossi (like that's a compliment...), but it's a great alternative for a gluten-intolerant.

This will be my second batch of cider, so I got more creative with 2 cinnamon sticks. I stay with a simple recipe. Apelwein is on the list as well.

Also doing a Mead, but that's probably one year away from being ready.

Bought a jug of Carlo Rossi back in October while on a two-week road trip in the US. Wasn't easy but finished it before flying to New York with it. From NY I returned to Israel with another gallon jug (not Carlo Rossi) and a 3 gallon carboy in a duffel bag. The looks they gave me at the security checkpoint.

Took a picture of it (for some reason) on the trip's first night, in a cabin near Bryce Canyon, Utah.

carlo-rossi.jpg

Oh, by the way, here's what the two jugs are doing at the moment: fermenting an experimental batch of the Bee Cave Hefeweizen recipe with two different dry yeasts (the Carlo Rossi is on the left).

20121201_065828.jpg

I go to whole foods and buy empty 1 gallon cider jugs from the juice bar for the $0.25 deposit. I have at least 10 of them with random fermentations going.

I work in a wine store and we sold 30 gallons of Carlo Rossi to a fraternity for a party a few months back. Well, I guess they didn't have a recycling dumpster at their house so they decided to dump them in our dumpster about a week later. I pulled 20 jugs outta the recycling dumpster--more than I'll ever need.

Drink it for the jugs? I've had a few good nights with a few good friends and Carlo as a special guest :)

I go the cider route, myself. That way the kids can help me empty the jugs. (Actually, last time around I fermented the cider...) I'd rather drink apple juice than Rossi wine.

Were it not for Carlo Rossi jugs there would have been no mead brewing and thus no CreamyGoodness on this site. Make of that what you will.

Latest posts

Back