Sake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
I was browsing through the recipe threads, and didn't notice any sake recipes. I'm just curious if anyone has tried to make it, and if they did, how long did it take and how did it turn out?

I haven't made it, but I've had some of Fred's sake. It's as good as the best commercial sakes I've had.

Hmm, I'm tempted to give it a go sometime, but it looks to be a relatively intricate procedure, simply by the number of steps. I'm impressed that the author of that first document gave out his phone number, though.

It is definitely more complicated than a barley beer. But, the last three steps are repeats of the second step, as you increase the volume.

I agree, sounds a little tricky. Once I get a few more batches under my belt, I might take a stab at it. Thanks for the info.

I have some simpler recipes to get you started if you would like.

Also, billpa just brought my attention to this kit.

I have never tried it but if you are willing to give it a go, it looks like a good intro to sake. Essientially they have done everything for you. You just have to wake it up and let it ferment. Be a good way to see what homebrewed sake tastes like before you commit a lot of time (and it does take a lot of time) to brew a batch.

Holy shmazoly! That kit only make a quart of the stuff, and is nearly $20! My instincts tell me it can be done cheaper, much cheaper, but do correct me if I'm wrong. And it would seem that even this small batch would take almost as much time as a regular sake batch, because most of the time put in comes from stirring it, right? Well, that and the additions.

Knights, can you linky the recipes, or post them here? It would be much appreciated!

I was totally inspired when I had a sake sampler at a local sushi restaurant. They had 7 different sake's... one with bits of tomato, one with spicy hot peppers, lemon grass, jasmine, pine, but anyway I haven't even looked at a recipe. These drinks can be wonderful and I think someday I'll have to take the dive.

Latest posts

Back