What trends are next.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchar1ie

Reaction score
A lot of craft beer Mag's that ive been reading seem to think that breweries and drinkers are going to be trending towards session beers. I don't think Ipa's and eccentric "series" beers are going anywhere, but what do you think?

I think sour beers are the next thing, and beers with a super high malt profile. The market is some what saturated with the run of the mill stuff, getting outside of the box is a fast way to get some market share.

There's just too many IPAs out there. There's breweries that make multiple versions, breweries that only make them, it's a little crazy. I believe session beers are the next big thing also, at least I hope so.

Ipa's are the #2 seller for craft breweries so I think they are here to stay, and that's fine by me. There are a lot of low gravity quaffers that I find myself frequenting. Including Cain's dark mild (great beer), shiner ruby redbird, and various pale ale, kolsch, Blonde and light lagers. Seems like saisons are on a roll as of late also.

IPA will remain a staple for the forseeable future. Sours are still popular, but I think that session beers, or more precisely, "Classic" lighter beers like blondes, cream ales, etc. will grow in popularity. More and more people are trying out craft beer and for many of them the lighter styles are more accessible and more craft breweries are brewing them. Plus people that spent time drinking the stouts and IPAs and such are trying the lighter styles again and appreciating them for what they are, rather than bashing them because they are like the mass produced light lagers.

That's what I think.

There's no way sours become the next big thing because there is no real quick and easy way to make them. It's too much time, too much space dedicated to something that needs to age forever and while there's little risk of infection if you do it right there is still that risk of infecting other batches making brewer's nervous. So, it's not going to happen.

I'm on boarded with session beers and have already started heavily incorporating them into my brewing schedule.

inhousebrew said:
There's no way sours become the next big thing because there is no real quick and easy way to make them. It's too much time, too much space dedicated to something that needs to age forever and while there's little risk of infection if you do it right there is still that risk of infecting other batches making brewer's nervous. So, it's not going to happen.

I'm on boarded with session beers and have already started heavily incorporating them into my brewing schedule.

I'm sure someone (BMC) will come up with something mass produced that will be close but not a true sour just to get a piece of that part of the market if popularity rises.. adding the lactic and acidic acids to a clean brewed beer.. the mad fermentationist tried some tests with doing it.. Russian river and jolly pumpkin seem to be doing well with there turn around just to name 2 :mug:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/04/brewing-sour-beer-with-acid.html?m=1

BMC would never touch sours. It's way too far out of their market. They're not stupid. They know that anyone who enjoys sours enough to spend money on them regularly is not going to be a fan of the BMC companies.

There's just too many IPAs out there.

Revision: There's just too many mediocre IPAs out there. Not too many breweries are producing liquid gold...
We need more "great" IPAs.

But I will concur with the first poster and say that more Sours will hit the market due to increased demand. They won't satiate the market, but there will be higher demand for them. Also, high alcohol beers, Imperial Stouts, Bourbon Beers, etc. will continue to be on the rise. We're also sure to see more mass-marketing of American-made Blue Moon type beers for the newbs.

Bigger and Bolder seems to be more attractive to the masses for some reason. Session beers are wonderful I think, but I don't think it will ever be trendy to drink 2 or 3% abv milds/bitters.

Airborneguy said:
BMC would never touch sours. It's way too far out of their market. They're not stupid. They know that anyone who enjoys sours enough to spend money on them regularly is not going to be a fan of the BMC companies.

They can buy a label and you wouldn't even know it was there product.. they don't even have to put there name on the packaging.. seen it in beer wars with the organic beer line from anheuser busch..

Revision: There's just too many mediocre IPAs out there. Not too many breweries are producing liquid gold...
We need more "great" IPAs.

But I will concur with the first poster and say that more Sours will hit the market due to increased demand. They won't satiate the market, but there will be higher demand for them. Also, high alcohol beers, Imperial Stouts, Bourbon Beers, etc. will continue to be on the rise. We're also sure to see more mass-marketing of American-made Blue Moon type beers for the newbs.

Bigger and Bolder seems to be more attractive to the masses for some reason. Session beers are wonderful I think, but I don't think it will ever be trendy to drink 2 or 3% abv milds/bitters.

Yet it is plenty trendy to drink 4-5% PBR or Black Label. Sigh...

Back