Using house fridge to store and dispense from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biohaz7331

Reaction score
Okay so due to me just buying a fair amount of brewing equipment and getting keg equipment I can't really buy a mini fridge or anything to make a kegerator. I took some shelves out of my fridge and moved others to make room for my keg and 5# co2 tank. My main question is should I get a keg parka or similar product for my keg? The fridge will house other food and drinks and whenever a beer will be poured the door will have to be opened. I cannot make the main house fridge a kegerator so will it be fine without anything or would it be better to get a parka? Also I'm sure its posted somewhere but what is the optimum keg storage temperature on average? Thanks in advance!

There's no reason to get a keg parka since you want your beer to stay cold. Also, I like to keep my kegerator around 38 degrees.

If you want to serve it at a party, take it out of the fridge and put it on ice in a garbage can, a clean one of course. For that matter, use two garbage cans with insulation between them and keep them on ice with the lid on and a blanket or something to seal it up. The ice will keep for a couple of days if left undisturbed.

Back