Sweet/tart Cherry Ale recipe - looking for some input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a recipe for a cherry ale. Looking for any input. I want it to come out a bit sweet and a bit tart, but on the lighter/dry side. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

3.5 lbs pale 6-row
3.3 lbs light LME
1 lb light DME
1 lb flaked rye
.5 lb crystal 10
.5 lb carapils

1 oz styrian goldings 3.8%AA @60 min
1 oz fuggles 4.5%AA @ 15 min

8 oz lactose @ 10 min
16 oz cherry concentrate @ flameout

Hopville says that at 50% efficiency this gives me a OG of 1.049 and an estimated FG of 1.012, 18 IBU, and 4 SRM. I know the gravity will be affected by the lactose, but I can't correct for that in hopville's recipe calculator.

I feel like I'm erring on the side of caution with the lactose and the cherry. I added the flaked rye becuase of the character that it brings and the 6-row is there becuase I get terrible efficiency and I need all the enzymes I can muster for that rye.

Another question I have is what type of yeast to use. Should I keep it simple and go with S-04 or S-05? I had a thought, maybe a saison or abbey ale yeast could really make this a fun beer, since they will bring their own complexity to the mix. Is that just a bad idea? Am I looking for trouble there? I'm trying to experiment and improvise a bit more these days, but I haven't done enough in the past to know what will make an interesting beer vs. an undrinkable mess.

Back