Dunkel stuck at 1030

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJob87

Reaction score
Why will my dunkel not ferment out!!?!? Brewed over 3 weeks ago... Has been at constant 68 to 70 this whole time.. Pls help

image-1222555854.jpg

Looking at your malt bill alone I can see that near 20% of the grist isn't fermentable (carapils, dextrose, chocolate malt). I bet that's it. Also you didn't mention anything about oxygen so yeast so I'm assuming that you may have under pitched and not have oxygenated the wort....

Yeah you are a little low on the attenuation at under 60%. The above poster noted some potential issues (however it's news to me that dextrose isn't fermentable). Without knowing more about your process, it's impossible to help.

What yeast strain did you pitch, and how much? How was your yeast handled prior to pitching? How old was it?

Yeah you are a little low on the attenuation at under 60%. The above poster noted some potential issues (however it's news to me that dextrose isn't fermentable). Without knowing more about your process, it's impossible to help.

What yeast strain did you pitch, and how much? How was your yeast handled prior to pitching? How old was it?

Woops!! For some reason I thought it was lactose....My bad...

I have a similar issue with an imperial stout, can additional yeast be pitched to finish it out, our is it best to leave as is?

I have a similar issue with an imperial stout, can additional yeast be pitched to finish it out, our is it best to leave as is?

If you decide to pitch additional yeast, make a big starter and pitch it when the yeast is at high krausen --- that's your best bet and knocking a few points off of the beer. Then again, a forced fermentation test will tell you if adding more yeast will be a waste of your time anyway...

pdxal said:

according to my numbers I under pitched yeast. now that fermentation should be complete, I am not hitting my anticipated FG. so I was assuming that it is sure to initially under pitching?

Sorry for late reply.. Yeast was Wyyeast 300 hefeweizen ale... Created a starter that sat for 24 hours and pitched then aerated

Back