Can't wait!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodatech

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to brewing, and to this group, but I have some scottish ale in the fermenter in the closet.

It is my first brew, and the fermentation seemed very vigorous and rapid. It started after about 5 hours, and all through the night and the next day bubbles were rolling out of the airlock.

The best part is, the closet the brew is in smelled GREAT! Fermentation seems to have stopped after just 2 days, so I gave the fermenter a good shake, and I am going to let it sit some more.

I am new, so I am going to keep it simple, for this batch I am not going to use a secondary. I am going to check my SG after a week in the bucket, if it looks good, I am going to bottle it and age it for a few weeks. Ill Keep you posted! :D :rockin:

I'd recommend leaving it in the bucket a little longer than that, two weeks minimum, three weeks better. I usually leave most of mine in primary 4 weeks.

That said, congrats on the first brew, and it'll probably be the best beer you've ever had (namely because you made it).

Cheers and welcome to the forum (and the obsessionimeanhobby) :mug:

Three weeks? The kit said 4-6 days, but reading on the forums here, that does seem a bit short.

Should I just leave the lid closed and not check the SG until after 2-3 weeks? The thread title says "cant wait" but I would rather wait and have great beer, than NOT wait and have gushers.

Three weeks? The kit said 4-6 days, but reading on the forums here, that does seem a bit short.

Should I just leave the lid closed and not check the SG until after 2-3 weeks? The thread title says "cant wait" but I would rather wait and have great beer, than NOT wait and have gushers.

You're really supposed to take a gravity reading before you pitch your yeast, hence SG = starting gravity. You then take a FG or final gravity reading after you think it's nearing fermentation completion. Also, yes, 4-6 days is really short.

You should be fine to check on it to see where it stands, but I'd still give it 2 weeks before bottling. The important thing is that prior to birling, you should ensure that fermentation is done. Check gravity when you think it's finished, then give it 3 days. Check again, and if it hasn't changed in that time, you're all set to bottle. If it changes though, give it longer, least you end up with a batch of bottle bombs.

The kits always say things like that. They also usually say you can bottle when the airlock bubbling stops. Doesn't make it a good idea. Outside of a few brewing staple books (BCS, How to Brew, etc), I've learned all I know from the folks on here.

In my experience, almost all my brews have finished fermenting by 6 days (with a few exceptions). However, just cause active fermentation is done doesn't mean the yeast are done. There are fermentation byproducts that the extra time allows the yeast to clean up. As a general rule, after I pitch my yeast and seal up whichever ferment I'm using, I don't open it up until 2 weeks, at which point I start taking gravity readings. Once I've determined that it's done (which it usually is by 2 weeks), I let it sit another week. Then usually get lazy and wait one more. And it's done wonders for my beer.

You're really supposed to take a gravity reading before you pitch your yeast, hence SG = starting gravity. You then take a FG or final gravity reading after you think it's nearing fermentation completion. Also, yes, 4-6 days is really short.

SG is specific gravity. All gravity readings will tell you SG. That's the point.
The initial one is OG (original gravity).

Fermentation seems to have stopped after just 2 days, so I gave the fermenter a good shake, and I am going to let it sit some more.

Quit shaking the carboy, the yeast is fine and doing it's job :drunk:

Congrats on the first brew but do yourself a favor and let it sit for at least 3 weeks (I prefer 3-5). Welcome to the obsession!

You should let the beer ferment a minimum of 2 weeks to let the yeast finish up all of the fermentables. Then if gravity is stable, bottle.

Thanks for all the info. I did take an OG reading, and I REALLY don't want to open the fermenter and risk infection, so I was not planning on taking another SG reading until I was almost certain the fermentation was done.

Guess I will check it again after 2 weeks in the fermenter. How long does an ale usually take to bottle condition?

Give it a good 3 weeks to carb up and condition. Id also suggest befor your future brews you read read read and read some more. Their is so much to learn about making beer. Here is the first Edition of How to Brew http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html It has some out of date stuff in it but its a very good starting point.

Sorry to attach my thread to yours! But it's applicable to this conversation. I want to clarify in a glass carboy (secondary)...do I wait and let it set in the primary for a few weeks or follow instructions and switch to secondary after first week, then let it go in secondary for another?

If I'm going to secondary, I usually follow the same process I listed above- let fermentation finish, give it an additional week, then secondary.

That said, secondary isn't going to help much with clarification. What's in suspension is in suspension and racking off the cake won't do much for it. I only secondary if I'm adding something extra (fruit, dry hops, oak, etc) or if I need to age something for a long time. In most cases I wouldn't bother with secondary. But that's a matter of debate amongst folks on here and I'm sure someone will chime in and disagree with me.

Sorry to attach my thread to yours! But it's applicable to this conversation. I want to clarify in a glass carboy (secondary)...do I wait and let it set in the primary for a few weeks or follow instructions and switch to secondary after first week, then let it go in secondary for another?

Its not necessary to go the secondary if you stay in your primary long enough (3-4 weeks). The yeasts will have plenty of time to clean themselves up and for the most part everything will be settled out. There are debates on staying on the yeast cake longer and its negative effects but in the 3-4 week range you are def safe and not having to rack to secondary is less work:tank:

Next suggestion- start kegging. While I absolutely love to brew beer I also love to drink it! Kegging saves soooo much time and you can always bottle a few to share/trade with friends.

Agreed with both above me; my clearest beers have come when I let it sit in primary for a month+ and then just bottle. If you want to take drastic measures, you can crash cool it or use a fining agent like gelatin, but it sounds like you'd be best served just letting it primary for a month and then bottle away.

good advice from everyone...thanks. on the clarity issue, i might wait that long on the next brew....but not my first! too excited.

Your first brew is like your first time with a girl. You are super excited and focused on finishing. Go quick and you will still enjoy it but take your time and its much better.

Back