Transferring beer to a secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolemite78

Reaction score
I am currently on day 8 of primary fermentation of a Green Chile beer I am brewing in a Mr. Beer 8.5qt container. I added 3 large roasted Chile's to the brew just before pitching the yeast. I see a lot of seeds and food particles floating around and decided I want to rack to a secondary to clean it up a bit, although I do plan on adding more Chile's to the secondary. I've never used a secondary but think I may want to here.

My problem is that I don't have a true secondary and my 5 gallon primary is already in use. I have the bottling bucket that I thought about using, but don't have a cap for it. So my plan is to rack to the sanitized bottling bucket just to give myself time to clean out the Mr. Beer bucket, then transfer back.

My question is, how clean should I get it? Is there anything in the sediment that is "working" or doing anything for my beer? I had planned to clean it completely then add new chile's and just strain out any remaining junk before bottling. Are there any problems with the above scenario, or is this just too much work for nothing? Should I just ride out another 5 days or so in the primary? Thanks in advance.

I would say to leave it. I wasn't a true believer of the "No Secondary" thought, until I started. Won't go back. Let your yeast clean up the mess that they made. Plus, transferring 2.5 Gal to a 5 gal bucket, I think, would add too much head space in the secondary. My two cents worth anyway.

You should wait till fermentation slows before you rack to secondary. If there is still stuff moving around then the ferment is still going strong. Let it ride.

I make it a habit to keep my brew in the primary for at least three weeks. You can transfer as long as you keep sanitation to a high level and do no add any extra aeration.

I didn't plan to leave it in the 5 gallon for the secondary, just to give me time to clean out the 8.5qt and then transfer back. So my next question is considering I may not rack to a secondary for clean up, what should I do about the Chile's I wanted to add? Should I just get them ready and dump them into the primary on top of the old ones?

Decided to take everyone's advice and just leave it in the primary. I went ahead and added 3 more roasted Green Chile's, hoping to get a little more heat and flavor. I will bottle it on Friday and let you all know how it turned out. Thanks for the advise.

I bottled on Thursday and the sample I had was great. I went ahead and added 3 more Chile's for the last 4 days and may have went a little overboard, lol. The heat is up there, not on the tounge but the back of the throat. All I can say is, it's a good thing I like really spicy things, should go well with a Green Chile Cheeseburger.

I siphoned to a bottling bucket through a strainer to get the seeds and what I could of the sediment out, however the beer is really cloudy. After 5 days in the bottles it has settled some and cleared a bit, but my Ale looks like a Hefe. Oh well, don't care about how it looks, just how it tastes. Gonna try to add some pics.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

Back