High Gravity Beer and Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
I have a Oaked Bourbon Porter going. Just moved it to secondary after 2 weeks. OG 1.096 and it is currently at 1.028, is that too high. Gonna leave it for a month, will I need to repitch or anything when I bottle? It's currently at 11% abv and I used White Labs English Ale yeasties.

McBrewskie said:
I have a Oaked Bourbon Porter going. Just moved it to secondary after 2 weeks. OG 1.096 and it is currently at 1.028, is that too high. Gonna leave it for a month, will I need to repitch or anything when I bottle? It's currently at 11% abv and I used White Labs English Ale yeasties.

You are at 8.9%, (1.096-1.028)*131=8.9%. that being said, how did you hop it? It should drop to 1.020 to 1.018 but don't expect it to get to low. Also I wonder about you mash temp, more then 152* and it will stay high. I hope you mashed lower and did all grain. Don't worry about it and if you still think it's to high, hit it with some bourbon when you bottle it.

You are at 8.9%, (1.096-1.028)*131=8.9%. that being said, how did you hop it? It should drop to 1.020 to 1.018 but don't expect it to get to low. Also I wonder about you mash temp, more then 152* and it will stay high. I hope you mashed lower and did all grain. Don't worry about it and if you still think it's to high, hit it with some bourbon when you bottle it.

It was an extract.

12 lbs. LME
4 oz Maltodextrin

Steeping Grain

4 oz Black Patent
1 lb Crystal 60L
12 oz Pale Chocolate
1 lb Munich
8 oz. Honey Malt

Hops:

2 oz magnum at 60
2 oz. cascade at 10
2 oz willamette at 1

I did add bourdon and oak chips tonight. 16 oz of bourbon that had oak chips soaking for 2 weeks and about an oz of oak chips into the secondary.

I think you've got a thick beer with that recipe. After 2 weeks, I think it's done. Also, according to beersmith, 1.028 is exactly what the FG should be.

Go ahead and bottle.

Thick hmm, it does taste very good so far. Bottle though? after 2 weeks. I was gonna let it set with the oak and bourbon for a few weeks?

I just mean that there isn't a problem bottling it. Also no need to pitch more yeast. Like Paradisebeer said, if your OG was 1.096, you are still at an ABV that the yeast can handle.

Definitely do the oak and bourbon. It will be good!

I just did an bourbon vanilla porter and ended up with a FG of 1.012. It tasted great after just a week in primary. It's sitting on vanilla right now. I'm having a hard time staying away from it.

Yep, this is why it's good to do all grain. You would have control over the amount of fermentable sugars. It will still be a good beer, I would just not expect it to go much lower. Just for the safe side I would still let it chill in secondary for two weeks. I would hit it some dry hops one week out of bottling..... omg I am going toss my iPad out the F$&!king window! Swype does not work on the iPad, FYI

Yep, this is why it's good to do all grain. You would have control over the amount of fermentable sugars. It will still be a good beer, I would just not expect it to go much lower. Just for the safe side I would still let it chill in secondary for two weeks. I would hit it some dry hops one week out of bottling..... omg I am going toss my iPad out the F$&!king window! Swype does not work on the iPad, FYI

Thanks man. Yeah, I have done one partial mash and am taking an all grain class saturday. You guys have any suggestions for a dry hop that will go well with a porter like this?

I just mean that there isn't a problem bottling it. Also no need to pitch more yeast. Like Paradisebeer said, if your OG was 1.096, you are still at an ABV that the yeast can handle.

Definitely do the oak and bourbon. It will be good!

I just did an bourbon vanilla porter and ended up with a FG of 1.012. It tasted great after just a week in primary. It's sitting on vanilla right now. I'm having a hard time staying away from it.

Nice. This thing tastes good already and from what I understand these nice darker beers just get better with aging.

Also there's maltodextrine, 1lb crystal 60, and 1lb honey malt. These will all result in a thicker sweeter beer since they contribute a lot of unfermentables.

This sounds like a delicious chewy beer.

Back