What is the Typical Pacman Attenuation Time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine typically attenuates 7-10 days, sometimes longer in high gravity beers. It did fine in the 1.096 stout, but took a couple of weeks in a 1.120 barleywine!

Are you fermenting @ 60? I have had a Brewcraft Rogue Dead guy in a fridge @ 60 degrees for 8 days now. Very fine bubbles rising and a little bit of foam on the top.

The "floaties" are like dots across the top, something I haven't seen before.

When do you suggest I bring it up to room temperature (79 deg F)?

I ferment between 60-64 for a week. As soon as I notice the krausen falling (usually 3-7 days), I take the fermentor out of the swamp cooler and let it warm up to ambient on its own (70-72ish). You room temp might be a wee bit too warm, but I would let it warm up a bit.

Now that you mention it, I have noticed extended yeast rafts. Definitely not krausen, but like clumps of yeast left on top. A few batches they actually hung around until bottling, but the hydrometer said it had been done for two weeks so I just went ahead and racked!

Germelli1 - how long do you suggest leaving it at 70-72 degrees?

I will be away from the house for two weeks. Do you think extending the time to three weeks at 70 degrees will cause any harm? The carboy is in a refrigerator ...

Back