Do these look like they are worth $70 ea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that is fair. Wow 70 bucks that seem like alot for used cornies!

They are nice but how often are your kegs on display? 30 bucks would be fair though. You would have nicer kegs than me but then again, so what?

Those look like they are in really good condition. Might come up 5 or 10 tops.

$70 each is retarded if they are anything but new. Sure they look to be in good shape, but you can still find good used ones for $25 if you look. The insides are always shiny, and that's what matters.

Thanks all for the validation:mug:. I thought $70 was way too high for kegs of questionable integrity. Not saying they are bad but if I have to go through the trouble of taking them apart to clean, replace O rings, and perhaps some parts then I am not going to pay a premium price

$70 each is retarded if they are anything but new. Sure they look to be in good shape, but you can still find good used ones for $25 if you look. The insides are always shiny, and that's what matters.

$25 kegs are becoming rare these days. the general going rate for a used keg has climbed to $40 in the past two years.

But, yeah.... $70 a pop is a steal if they are brand new, and a rip off if they are used.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/2199677200.html

I texted her and was told that they have been in storage for quite a long time and never used She said they might need new O rings and valves. I told her based on that info I could offer no more than $30/keg. Think that is fair?

If your going to Denver for these you can buy new ones here.
http://store.brewhut.com/balllockkeg-pepsi5gallon.aspx
or used ones.
http://store.brewhut.com/balllockkeg-pepsi5gallonnonreconditioned.aspx
This was my go to shop when i lived in Denver.

Paying that much for kegs is ridiculous.

$25 kegs are becoming rare these days. the general going rate for a used keg has climbed to $40 in the past two years.

But, yeah.... $70 a pop is a steal if they are brand new, and a rip off if they are used.

I agree. I got 2 from BMW for $40 each with $7 shipping and they came with a free set of O rings. Typically when people have something brand new and never used they state it in their add. I got a text back from them saying that Williams Brewing sells these reconditioned for $99. Hmmm did not see that on their site. Perhaps they will find some buyers or will take me up on my offer

I agree. I got 2 from BMW for $40 each with $7 shipping and they came with a free set of O rings. Typically when people have something brand new and never used they state it in their add. I got a text back from them saying that Williams Brewing sells these reconditioned for $99. Hmmm did not see that on their site. Perhaps they will find some buyers or will take me up on my offer

Tell them congratulations on finding a worse deal than their own :D Then point them to all the other online vendors with normal pricing.

Theses are not new. They are reconditioned for $65. I was just in there on Saturday getting some grain

I was thinking instead of buying 1 new one you could buy 2 used for the same price. I always got the $45 dollar ones and a set of rings and just cleaned them my self. Just check the condition and pick the best looking ones.

I never understand why I don't see people mentioning Sabco. I've bought 6 kegs from them and when purchasing 4 shipping is around $18.00. So buying 4 nicely reconditioned with stickers removed, dent's removed, polished, run's about $35.00 each shipped to your door. Like they say... "These are nice kegs"

http://www.brew-magic.com/keg_spec_bllocks.html

$70 may be a bit on the high end for the kegs listed in this thread, however there is a significant difference between a used keg that was bought new, and a used keg that was bought from Pepsi/Coke.

Refurb'ed Coke/Pepsi kegs are often dented/dinged, with a fair amount of wear on the stainless body.

If you take the time to clean up a refurb'ed keg by removing the sticker/etc, and polishing the stainless to make it look decent, the time involved can get pretty significant.

Personally I don't polish my SS kegs (too much trouble) but I do remove the stickers and associated glue. That takes me about 30 to 60 minutes. I use a utility razor blade to remove the stickers, and then I use "Goof off!" to remove the glue and any marring that's removable.

M_C

$70 may be a bit on the high end for the kegs listed in this thread, however there is a significant difference between a used keg that was bought new, and a used keg that was bought from Pepsi/Coke.

Refurb'ed Coke/Pepsi kegs are often dented/dinged, with a fair amount of wear on the stainless body.

If you take the time to clean up a refurb'ed keg by removing the sticker/etc, and polishing the stainless to make it look decent, the time involved can get pretty significant.
agreed, but when the general market doesn't care about appearance, you have to accept that and price accordingly or not expect to sell. Just because it's worth $70 to them, doesn't mean it's worth $70 to anyone else. 99% of homebrewers aren't going to care about dings and scratches on the outside of a keg that's buried in a kegerator.

You can also try Tom at 303-238-8343. I don't know if he still has any but he used to sell ball lock kegs with new o rings for 35. He is in Lakewood. He occasionally puts a listing on Craigslist but I have not seen one for a while.

I just called The Brew Hut. They are selling used ball-lock cornies for $45 per. Seller's price is way out of whack, no matter how shiny the outside is.

You can also try Tom at 303-238-8343. I don't know if he still has any but he used to sell ball lock kegs with new o rings for 35. He is in Lakewood. He occasionally puts a listing on Craigslist but I have not seen one for a while.

I am glad you posted his info. I saw him on CL and then his add disappeared a few weeks ago

I just nabbed 8 for 25 bucks each un-refurbished from a homebrewer, so he knew what he had...

Rare, maybe, but not unheard of, especially ones that still need to be cleaned and rebuilt.

I don't think they are even close to being worth it. I got mine from ebay shipped for $45 and it was in great condition

Pin locks for $12 before shipping. cornykeg.com. Also has some pin locks converted to ball locks. I have bought several from them, and seem to be a good deal!

Wow have cornies really gone up that much???? I think I only paid ten bucks apiece for mine, on average. But that was a few years ago.......

Wow have cornies really gone up that much???? I think I only paid ten bucks apiece for mine, on average. But that was a few years ago.......

I know~! I've got like eight or nine cornies, but I'm thinking I should grab another four or five while we can still get them. If anything, they should be a good investment!

Latest posts

Back