First Batch in the Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzersc

Reaction score
So, I completed my first batch of beer last night. I did a Cream Ale. It's bubbling away right now. Just got to keep my damned hands off the airlock.
N00b worries I guess. :drunk:

This is my first post also, I lurked for a while. Thanks to everyone for all the tips. This forum is awesome. Like most forums, any question I have prolly was asked already. Just got to "Use the Search button."

RpC3

Hey, welcome and congrats on the first batch. I'm many batches in and still can't keep my nose out of the airlock :) :mug:

It's bubbling like crazy. I guess I have 2 batches now. I just helped a friend do his first. An Irish Stout. Told him, "Leave that air lock alone!"

It's bubbling like crazy. I guess I have 2 batches now. I just helped a friend do his first. An Irish Stout. Told him, "Leave that air lock alone!"

If you have a way to keep the fermenting beer cooler it will ferment slower and give off fewer off flavors. I like to ferment mine in a room that I can keep between 60 and 63 degrees. Mine is now giving out one bubble every 3 seconds or so, 24 hours into the ferment.

Cream Ale

5/5/11 10pm put it in the bucket
5/6/11 7am first slow bubbling starts 72F
5/6/11 12pm little faster 70F
5/6/11 9pm Fast 72F
5/7/11 6.30am Fastest 73F
5/7/11 6pm slowed, but still going 69F

Little tip: turn off the lights and set a flash light on the lid pointing down.
I see I have a receded 3" of Krauzen (sic)

Not paranoid, just looking for comfort :)

The Krauzen was a very welcome sight.

What yeast? Cream ales are usually done with hybrid or lager yeast that ferment around 60 degrees.

Wyeast Activator Headwaters Ale Yeast from Midwest. it was the best one on the yeast list for that beer.

Wyeast Activator Headwaters Ale Yeast
Attenuation: 73-77%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 60-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: 10%

This is from Midwest:
Additional Information
Ideal Temperature Range (°F) 60-75
Rate of Fermentation Fast
Profile Ale
Manufacturer Wyeast Activator

Cool. Looks like a hybrid. Just my own word of advice: If at all possible, try to inoculate the yeast with the wort 4-6 degrees lower than your ideal temperature and then let the fermentation gradually raise the temperature to what's ideal. It should produce a cleaner beer.

Yes. Most likely past the fast part, the most vigorous stage of fermentation, but I'm sure your beer has a little bit (or awhile) to go before it reaches it's FG. What's important to know is that temperature control during the first 72 or so hours of fermentation are the most important because that's often when the majority of flavor compounds are created.

Just did a gravity reading, and I'll do another on Saturday to make sure I can bottle.

Gator Piss Cream Ale:
SG: 1.042
FG: 1.010 :) for now. we'll see if it's done.

That's 4.3% right?

It tasted amazing!!

Let's see, you brewed it on February 5th and it was fermenting on the 6th. Today is the 17th. Nope, not done yet.

Actually if your FG stays the same you can bottle but it will be better beer sooner if you leave it in the fermenter another week. It's amazing what that extra time on the yeast cake will do to make the beer mature.

I really need to get a second bucket. I have stuff to brew a Hefe on Saturday. I know I should wait, but I won't. It's my first batch. ;)

Back