Tepache!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did shoot more for a wine with that batch with the pureeing and yeast to get it started. I'm chilling a bottle now and I'll try drinking some tonight to see if it is drinkable and if it has alcohol or not.
It's not vinegar, it's just not tasty. Just like the pineapple.

Edit: I'm starting to think the yeast wasn't completely dead. There might be activity going on since I added that extra sugar. This could become a problem that I don't know how to deal with.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I was just searching around at this topic to find some more info about making the best Tepache, and already read some helpfull things But I still have some questions, specific about kegging Tepache. Hope there are still some people hanging around here who would like to help me out!

1. I just bought my first mini keg (5L), so I can have more control over the taste and ABV. Very excited to start using it but I can't seem to find what would be the right PSI. Anyone who have figured this out?

2. How soon after carbonating in the keg will I be able to bottle it? Does is need to be in the fridge for a specific period of time?

Last edited:
Hi all!

I was just searching around at this topic to find some more info about making the best Tepache, and already read some helpfull things But I still have some questions, specific about kegging Tepache. Hope there are still some people hanging around here who would like to help me out!

1. I just bought my first keg, so I can have more control over the taste and ABV. Very excited to start using it but I can't seem to find what would be the right PSI. Anyone who have figured this out?

2. How soon after carbonating in the keg will I be able to bottle it? Does is need to be in the fridge for a specific period of time?

I'm no expert, but I'll throw out some opinions anyway.

Kegging is a great idea. I'd start at 12psi (beer carbonation) and after a week or two, test and increase if necessary. Though, more than that might lead to serving issues. I carbed a white wine to 40 psi (homemade champagne) and it foams quite a bit when served, even with my flow-control taps (perlick 650ss). The foam goes down quickly, but still it's an issue. Same experience with root beer.

If you're bottling from the keg (which I just noticed in your post above), you'll run into the same problem with foam at high pressures. A few years ago I tried bottling 40psi wine into champagne bottles, using a Blichmann beer gun. It was a little messy, but it did work. Sadly, the gas came out of the wine VERY quickly, and by the time I got the cork/cage on the bottle there was little carbonation left. The ideal way to bottle high-psi beverages is with one of the WilliamsWarn bottlers ($$$): WilliamsWarn Counter Pressure Bottle Filler | MoreBeer.

I'd wait at least 2 weeks for full carbonation. Diffusion rate of gas into the liquid is directly proportional to the specific gravity. I get full carbonation of a keg of beer between 7 and 14 days.

BTW, have you made much Tepache?

Back