How long can milled grains sit before brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting together a bulk order for a couple kits and I won't get to one of them for about a month. Will that be OK?

The only reason I'm wanting to order more than I can brew at once is because of the free shipping, but if it will cause problems I'd rather pay the extra couple bucks. The Kit that will sit for a few weeks is the AHS Tripel.

Your thoughts?

I've got milled grain I bought from a group buy a few months back. It's in airtight pet food containers from Tractor Supply and it still works and tastes just fine.

Milled or not, grain should always be stored in a low humidity environment. Water activates the enzymes that do the starch-sugar conversion. Although they are really most active at higher temps, germination can restart, which is what malters stop when produce malt.

Better yet always store in inside a vapor barrier (plastic bag). From what I understand, the moisture can have a significant impact on efficiency

I stored some milled grains from a online order in freezer bags and kept them in the freezer for a month. I got 71% efficiency, it was my very first AG too.

It should keep a couple of months easy. Like the other folks said, keeping it dry is the key.

Back