DIY Stir Plate, Stir Bar attracted to mounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlejon326

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what to use to mount my fan to the underside of my home made stir plate. I used rivets but the problem is the stir bar is just as attrated to the rivets as it is to the earth magnet on the fan. what did you guys use or how can i avoid this?

I used bolts that mount from the bottom so no metal on top. I'm also using magnets from old hardrives (very strong), so the stir bar is easily attracted to them and nothing else.

If your stir bar is being derailed by your rivets, it sounds like they might not stick during a fast spin anyways. Before you redesign, maybe try stronger magnets - IMHO.

I just left the metal shield mounted to the face of the fan as a spacer and used velcro to mount it to the bottom of the box. Seems to work great.

I just left the metal shield mounted to the face of the fan as a spacer and used velcro to mount it to the bottom of the box. Seems to work great.

ill have to try that - im using earth magnets so once it does get on it it spins fine, ill have to tweak things a bit

I have 4 bolts epoxied into and sticking up from a plate that the fan mounts onto. A nut lets me adjust it up and down (although friction seems to be fine).

Video in action here -- the internal guts start @ 27s

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back