Homebrewing Tendencies and Trends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I started homebrewing in September of this year and this is what I have brewed to date:

Cologne Kolsh - OG 1.043 FG 1.011
Belgium Amber - OG 1.045 FG 1.012
Holiday Apple Spice - OG 1.078 FG 1.012 I know..KILLER ABV
Oatmeal Stout - OG 1.064 FG 1.016
Honey IPA OG = 1.062 FG = 1.011
American Amber OG = 1.040 FG = 1.009
Peach Wheat IPA OG = 1.065 FG = 1.011
Belgian Style Pale Ale OG = 1.065 FG = 1.023
Honey Nut ESB OG = 1.0625 FG = 1.019

My brief brewing history has led me to see a trend. I tend to brew hoppier, stronger, higher gravity brews. My theory is that I am brewing beers that I like and that I cannot afford to by on a budget.

Has anybody else noticed a trend towards more eccentric, micro styles of beer for the homebrewer?

My neighbors always ask me if I can make bud light...why would I want too?!

I've only been brewing since September as well, and I agree. I've brewed styles so far that I know I like, and one that I've never had before but thought it looked good. I've never had a bitter before, so my next brew will be one of those, at least I'm leaning that way, trying to fill in some gaps in what I've tasted.

I've only been brewing since September as well, and I agree. I've brewed styles so far that I know I like, and one that I've never had before but thought it looked good. I've never had a bitter before, so my next brew will be one of those, at least I'm leaning that way, trying to fill in some gaps in what I've tasted.

bitter is fantastic...if I can offer some advice for a five gallon batch to be bottled....I would go with 1/2 to 2/3 cup of dextrose for carbonation...smoothness, maltiness and balance is a key for bitter. It is simply delicious when done correctly. I even like a little dry hop

I suppose there is no single rule to answer that question as tastes come into play, but I bet most home brewers lean in that direction. The average beer I brew has an OG between 1.055 and 1.070. As you get into more exotic beers with heavier gravities the savings of making them yourself becomes more significant. When you get up into the fancy Belgians and Heavy IPA's, stouts, etc you are dropping $10-12 for a bomber when you can brew up 2 cases if you are getting ingredients in bulk for maybe $50-60. It becomes a no brainer.

As to Bud light, well as it's often said, very few home brewers could pull it off. The level of filtering and clarity is significant, and there is not anywhere to hide even the slightest flaw. Pretty much not doable without mechanical filtering and pastuerization.

Looks like you have brewed some tasty stuff, but the king killer would have to be that Honey Nut ESB with the 1.623 OG I'd like a bottle, and a soft mat to land on when I hit the floor. :D

I think when you settle in to homebrewing, and drink almost exclusively homebrew your gravities will come down a bit. I do like a nice strong beer from time to time, but I tend to prefer a beer I can drink 2-3 of and not be drunk. Since I only drink homebrew at home I usually brew moderate beers. Maybe your drinking habits are different. If you do end up drinking only homebrew I think you will want more session beers down the road. Have fun with crazy brews and interesting ingredients. If you try something unusual that tastes too strong in any direction set it aside and come back in a couple months, it does help.

I am trying to create a few more "sessionable" beers lately, that ESB was only supposed to hit 1.056..but I was too efficient! Tomorow I have a 1.047 nut brown planned for 75% efficiency..I have a feeling it will come in at 1.050 or so...but I think I will mash at 154....so I get some sweetness to compliment the nutty deliciousness....some maple syrup would be nice but my liver needs a break.

9 beers since sept.?! Geez thats alot of brewing!

Yeah, I started with a midwest supplies kit wtih a carboy, strictly extract. I have brewed almost every weekend since then.....sometimes twice. I brewed up 3 extract recipes and knew I had to go all grain...best decision ever. 48Q cooler and some basic plumbing/construction and I am happy as a pig in slop. It didn't hurt reading palmers book either.

Now I shoot for 5 gallons brewed every weekend.....I know santa is getting me a 12.5 gallon brewpot so I am going to graduate to 9 gallon batches soon......this is a blessing and a curse. I like 5 gal because if the beer sucks..2 cases isn't that much. But to be honest, brewing all grain and being patient..rarely do you strikout. I error on the side of very hoppy and very malty..but that is good for me. Belgian Aromatic and Biscuit are magicl to me.

My wife always says there are four things in life that I love..in no particular order....

family
fishing
beer
weight lifting

I had to call her for a ride home one night and she said and I quote " it's OK, you just really like beer. It's not that you want to get drunk or buzzed..but you want to taste them all so you can get inspired" she is awesome.

My MO is try and keep the keg(s) filled with quick-turnaround everyday drinkers and save the bigger, more unusual stuff for bottling. So yeah, I experiment and brew new things and brew big beers, but I also do quite a bit of plain-old-beer to keep the kegs from getting lonely.

My MO is try and keep the keg(s) filled with quick-turnaround everyday drinkers and save the bigger, more unusual stuff for bottling. So yeah, I experiment and brew new things and brew big beers, but I also do quite a bit of plain-old-beer to keep the kegs from getting lonely.

My question would be, what do you consider "plain-old-beer".? If I were only going to be able to have one beer on tap at my place it would without question be a brittish bitter...low carb, malty, hoppy, balanced...nice.

I do exactly the opposite. I make session beers, because the PNW is flooded with huge, hoppy beers. Session beers, Bitters, Milds, Browns, are rare. No point in making something I can buy at the grocery store for $6-8 a sixer. I made big, hoppy beers 8 years ago, but why bother now?

My neighbors always ask me if I can make bud light...why would I want too?!

Brewing a light lager is a great exercise to see how good a brewer you are. There's no place for flaws to hide. It's one of the most difficult styles to get right.

Back