Just bought an awesome espresso machine. What can I do with it in Homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16 shots of espresso into a 5 gallon stout or porter recipe (post-boil) is what you should do with it. That's what I do for my annual espresso stout/porter - tastes great.

Steam extract hop oils. The bittering resins will be left behind, so you can still use them. The espresso process is too fast to get much bittering.

I also have a good espresso machine. I have the Francis Francis X5. I bought it when *$'s opened on campus, I figured I would save money in the end. So of course I am interested in this as well.

When you want chilled coffee/espresso it is important to chill it as quickly as possible or you will get a sour taste. I use a martini shaker and pack it with ice, shake it a few times and pour it off.

As for using in beer I am very interested in this! Keep the ideas coming.

I've got a Rancilio Ms. Silvia and a Rocky grinder.

I've found it's rather nice to make Espresso with while you brew early in the day.

Last thing I'd want in my machine is hop oils embedded into my machine.

Stainless steel portafilter should be able to be cleaned. I also have covers I can use over the grounds to stop contact with the shower screen. I also have a second portafilter that could be used.

Back