Fermentation issues with a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvaron

Reaction score
I am currently in the first fermentation process of making a stout. The bubbles in the air lock stopped after the 3 days. It is currently the 4th day. On day 2, beer was getting in the airlock and it appeared that the airlock was clogged. I took off the lid, cleaned and re-sanitized the lid and everything appeared fine. The air bubbles started up again and they stopped the end of day 3. I opened the lid a little bit just to double check everything was running fine today and there was no foam on the top? Do I have anything to worry about? Should I add more yeast?

Thank you

There's alot to read in the beginners beer brewing forums. Have you taken any Hydrometer readings?

It sounds normal. The bulk of fermentation can be over pretty quickly, particularly in a warm environment. Wait another 4 days or so and check the SG if you're wondering if it's finished. By then, it should be clearer and taste quite a bit like warm flat beer!

I did prior to beginning the fermentation process and everything read fine - 1.05. Should I take another just to double check?

Thank you for the quick responses. I'm brewing this in my apt and its hard to keep a steady temp. It's been between 80 and 76.

Ouch. Next batch, try to get a bin or cooler, and use a water bath to keep the water temperature (and the temperature inside the fermenter as a result) at 65-68 degrees or lower.

Because fermentation is exothermic, it can actually be 10 degrees warmer inside the fermenter than room temperature. Which means it might have been 88-90 degrees inside the fermenter. That's about 20 degrees higher than most ales should be. It won't harm the beer- it'll still be very drinkable. You may notice some "hot" flavor to it, or some clove-like flavor, but in a stout it shouldn't be too noticeable.

I did prior to beginning the fermentation process and everything read fine - 1.05. Should I take another just to double check?

I know it's hard when you are first starting out, but try to avoid opening and closing the fermenter as much as possible. Of course if you didn't have a blow-off tube setup and your airlock became clogged that is a great reason to open it up and clean the airlock out. At which time since the fermenter is open you'd might as well take a gravity reading.

What is your recipe? What yeast are you using? What are your fermentation temps?

The answer to these questions can have a huge impact on the fermentation time. Every fermentation is different some might take only a couple days while others can take a couple weeks. Yeast is a living organism and ther are so many variables that can determine how the fermentation process is going.'

RDWHAHB! :mug:

The yeast is The Nottingham strain.

Well, you're quite a bit warmer than Nottingham likes to be for a "clean" taste. (I think that yeast strain's optimum temps are in the 57-70 degree range).

However, it'll still be fine and I think you'll be pleased with your first attempt.

Latest posts

Back