First 5 gal brew tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScott02

Reaction score
Tonight was my first 5 gal brew! I had started out with a Mr. Beer kit, and after the first batch found this website. Shortly after that, I gathered enough stuff to make some of Ed Wort's Apfelwein...man is that awesome. Anyways, finally had the free time to brew up my Shiner Bock clone tonight and learned some things about my set up. The first and most important thing was that my kitchen stove, even though it's gas, will barely get 2.5 gal. of water to a rolling boil. A couple months ago, I was given a turkey fryer set up so my brewing will be done with that from now on I guess. Other than that, nothing majorly bad happened, the apartment smells great, and she's in the bucket for the next 14 days.

Just wanted to brag cause I'm excited to get my first "big" batch under my belt. Thanks to all for this amazing treasure trove of info!

:mug:

congrats! I just started the beginning of May and I'm looking forward to my 4th brew. This is a great hobby and is very addicting.

It's exciting, isn't it? I have my first batch fermenting now too.

I noticed the same problem w/ my gas stove - I'll either have to boil less or get a different setup going for the next batch...

Congratulations on your brew. Please post information as your batch progresses. It's like bringing a child into the world... :D

Congrates! :rockin:

I just tasted my first batch. Great success! I think so anyway. It is addicting.

Waiting is the hard part. But about 4 weeks later opening that first battle, hearing the release of pressure, pouring your own brew into a glass, seeing the color and smelling the flavor, watching the tiny bubbles rise to the top, anticipating the taste, and hoping it tastes good... tasting it and liking it makes it all worth the wait.

I am 40 years old, but I feel like a kid again with some new toy. I am so addicted. :mug:

Sean

Congrats! I made my first batch in February and was able to enjoy it around St. Patty's day. I'm on my third batch now. Very addictive hobby indeed. :D

Gratz guys, and to sum up everyone's thought in the forums " It is a very addictive hobby" , only been doing it for a year now and on batch 12 now, should be bottling it in about a week. I learn something new on everybatch. First thing I do when i get home from work I have to go check and see if the bubbles are still rolling or or do a gravity check. good luck on the rest of your brews :mug:

Just a quick update. Still no signs of fermentation. I know why though. I'm lazy, and didn't make a starter and just pitched the White Labs right into the bucket. Not worried, and took today off work to RDWHAHB :)

Just to update...cracked open the first bottle tonight (yes, 2 weeks early)...success! Planning batch #2 now. Need to pull the trigger soon though. Thinking a pumpkin ale. Anyone tried the pumpkin ale extract kit from AHS? If I brew it soon, it'll be ready in October...

Anyone tried the pumpkin ale extract kit from AHS? If I brew it soon, it'll be ready in October...

I ordered this in the mini-mash kit the other day and was about to brew it today but realized I hadn't bought canned pumpkin yet!!! I'm going to the supermarket tomorrow to pick some up. Today I brewed a mini-mash AHS Special Seasonal Ale and it's currently cooling and smelling amazing!

God I need a wort chiller soooo bad!

Welcome aboard :mug:

I followed pretty much the same path you did and I'm only a couple months farther down the road. My first batch went into the bottles last week and I plan on tasting one (or maybe two) next weekend. I ordered a American Pale Ale kit from Northern Brewers last week and will probably get that cooking next week. Now if only I didn't have to go to work...

so you did a 5 gallon batch? how many bottles did you fill up with that?

ended up being 42 bottles, just shy of 2 cases. Still working on my bottling process to maximize my output. I need a pick up tube in the bottling bucket.

"big batch"? You may think that, but in 2-3 months you be making 10 or 15 gallon AG batches and looking for more fermenters. At least that's what I did. Started out with 4 or 5 extract and partial mash 5 gallon batches, and now have a 72qt 5 day cooler with a copper manifold mash tun, immersion chiller, conical fermenter, etc. (mostly homemade equipment). Now have over 150 gallons under my belt so far this year. To be fair, I do have two brew partners, so its like doing a 5 gal batch each. :)

Back