Czech Pilsner Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I recently started my second batch of beer ever, a Czech Pils. I went with my local home brew guys kit that he puts together and the instructions are a bit on the lean side. i had to pull out the instructions from my first bacth made which was an Octoberfest. My questions is this; was i supposed to just sprinkle the yeast on the top or add it to luke warm water first and then mix in? I did the latter in both of my brews and each time i saw no bubbling in the air lock. they only way i knew anything happened was from the bubbles sticking to the side of the airlock that were not there the day before. No kidding, i think all the fermentation happened within the first 24 hours. So for my second question; is that normal?

Fermentations vary, but I expect bubbling in my airlock and a large amount. The question is if the end result is any good. If it ain't broke, don't worry.

With the pils, are you able to do a cold fermentation? If not the beer will be fine but maybe not what you have in mind. Anyway, good luck, have fun and again, welcome to the flock!

In answer to your first question....yeah, it was great. The Octoberfest had great mouth feel and nice auroma. So perhaps you are right, it is not broke. I just wondered if it would be better if it took a couple days to ferment as apposed to seemingly over night.

The second question...yes i am able to do that in the garage fridge set as warm as it will go will hold a temp of 52 degrees. i told the guy who owns the home brew store i did that and did not even see the bubbles sticking to the side of the airlock and he laughed and said that yes infact with a wet yeast that is the correct thing to do but with the dry yeast that was in the kit he gave me it needed to ferment at 68 or so degrees. So after 4 days in the fridge it was transfered to my basement and seemed to again to complete fermentation in under 24 hours.

Thanks for the welcome. On a last minute whim i told my wife i wanted a home brew kit for my B-day 5 months ago, she passed it on to the in-laws, and being the great in-laws that they are, one magically appeared in my living room that day and my brother and i have started brewing and drinking(more regularly than before) ever since.

Sounds like the dealer gave you a packet of ale yeast, not lager yeast. No excuse for that if he's trying to sell you a Pilsner kit.

Latest posts

Back