Anheuser Busch Black Crown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsnthelou

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm always looking to try something new, and since I'm born and raised in the St. Louis, MO area my interest was peaked when I heard AB was trying to attract the 'craft beer' crowd with it's newest addition Black Crown...
Well, I was disappointed with the taste to say the least. It reminded me off an amber colored Bud Light, which is fine if that's what you like but I felt like a bait and switch victim, lol
Just throwing in my 2 cents worth in case anyone else was thinking about trying it, my advice, save your $$$$

Thanks!

I wonder how long some of these brands stick around for. I know Bud Platinum is still around, I see ads, but I know no one among my Bud drinking friends who buy it. For the ABV and taste vs price difference, it is not worth it to them.

Do they still make the Budweiser Select?

Yes, AB still makes Bud Select.

I have some of the Black Crown stuff right now and my first thought when I tried it was "it doesn't even taste like beer".

Doed said:
Yes, AB still makes Bud Select.

I have some of the Black Crown stuff right now and my first thought when I tried it was "it doesn't even taste like beer".

Exactly. I almost found it to taste more like the low calorie watered down products but maybe all that home brew has tainted my taste buds, lol

I saw this in the grocery store today and was somewhat curious, but I had just stocked up on beer (and have a batch of CA Common that will be ready in a week or so), so I didn't see any point in picking any up.

I wonder how long some of these brands stick around for. I know Bud Platinum is still around, I see ads, but I know no one among my Bud drinking friends who buy it. For the ABV and taste vs price difference, it is not worth it to them.

Do they still make the Budweiser Select?

Yeah, I also see Bud Platinum all over in stores and ads, yet I never see anyone buying it. I can't imagine it will be around much longer. I still see Bud Select too, but I read a while back that it is one of the top 10 beers for declining market share in the US.

I've been wanting to try it, but I've only seen it in 6-packs and larger. And I'm not willing to risk having 5 bottles of undrinked beer sitting in my fridge for whenever. I"m waiting until I can find it in a single serving.

I'm not hoping for much. They call it an 'Amber', but I'd be more than a little shocked if it tasted anything like an actual amber. Too bad since I think they could sell a TON of Amber Ale.

Homercidal said:
I've been wanting to try it, but I've only seen it in 6-packs and larger. And I'm not willing to risk having 5 bottles of undrinked beer sitting in my fridge for whenever. I"m waiting until I can find it in a single serving.

I'm not hoping for much. They call it an 'Amber', but I'd be more than a little shocked if it tasted anything like an actual amber. Too bad since I think they could sell a TON of Amber Ale.

Amber Bock has much more craft beer flavor to me than this product but I guess the cool name will draw them in... Black Crown... lol

For what its worth I just watched this awesome documentary on the beer industry. It seems the big beer companies bring out more and more variations whether they sell well or not in order to take up space at the grocery store because even if they lose a little money on a crappy selling beer they're still stealing shelf space from their competitors. Interesting to say the least...

JWStockton said:
For what its worth I just watched this awesome documentary on the beer industry. It seems the big beer companies bring out more and more variations whether they sell well or not in order to take up space at the grocery store because even if they lose a little money on a crappy selling beer they're still stealing shelf space from their competitors. Interesting to say the least...

Are you talking about Beer Wars?

Ostomo517 said:
Curiosity killed the cat, lets just say when it comes to beer, im a damn cat lol. Ive drank waaaaaaay worse than Black Crown..........maybe

Same here. I think the worst thing I ever tried was some crap a buddy picked up when we were in college. It was called Phat Boy. It was obvious why it was only .69 cents for a forty at the local stop and rob. I'd take a black crown or a cup of urine over that! :)

As a recent college grad I saw plenty of people chugging bud lite platinum. I assumed that was their target market on that one

JWStockton said:
Yessir! I assume everyone here has seen it... i netflicked the word beer.

Yup I've watched it several times. You should check out How Beer Saved the World on Netflix. It's a good one too.

Oh well. I drank some Lima a Rita the other night. Damn that was yummy. I wish I was in college. That's what I'd drink. We always drank Keystone and Busch Light. Pony kegs of course, $5 all you could drink.

Same here. I think the worst thing I ever tried was some crap a buddy picked up when we were in college. It was called Phat Boy. It was obvious why it was only .69 cents for a forty at the local stop and rob. I'd take a black crown or a cup of urine over that! :)

Ha! Phat Boy been there, done that. It had a weird chocolate aftertaste.

I liked the fact that Bud has many so called craft beers out there with no mention of them making it. Yet the address lead the lady to the plant lol.

You do realize that BeerWars was filmed from a pretty selective point of view correct? I wouldn't believe everything in that documentary either. I do wonder if that former Sam Adams rep is still trying to schlep her caffeine beer. Yeah nothing says a brewer cares about making great beer than someone selling a caffeine infused beer to target college binge drinkers. :drunk:

Anyway, I'll give Black Crown a shot if I see it on draft at one of the Canes games or if a friend offers me a bottle. I didn't think Bud's American Ale was all that bad - just could have been more.

Darwin18 said:
You do realize that BeerWars was filmed from a pretty selective point of view correct? I wouldn't believe everything in that documentary either. I do wonder if that former Sam Adams rep is still trying to schlep her caffeine beer. Yeah nothing says a brewer cares about making great beer than someone selling a caffeine infused beer to target college binge drinkers. :drunk:

Anyway, I'll give Black Crown a shot if I see it on draft at one of the Canes games or if a friend offers me a bottle. I didn't think Bud's American Ale was all that bad - just could have been more.

I think you must have missed the point of the film.

I think you must have missed the point of the film.

No, I'm pretty sure I got the point just fine. The point was to cast BMC in an extremely poor light while portraying "craft" brewers as strong willed entrepreneurs who care about quality over quantity. It's an entertaining movie but it's just a bit biased. I would compare it to Fahrenheit 911.

Darwin18 said:
No, I'm pretty sure I got the point just fine. The point was to cast BMC in an extremely poor light while portraying "craft" brewers as strong willed entrepreneurs who care about quality over quantity. It's an entertaining movie but it's just a bit biased. I would compare it to Fahrenheit 911.

Yes I agree it was a little biased. But having worked on both sides of the aisle it's pretty accurate.

I actually liked Bud Select- I say liked because I cannot find it anymore- it has been replaced by Bud Select 55 which is horrid... so light it shouldn't even be called beer- maybe just "eer"

I actually liked Bud Select- I say liked because I cannot find it anymore- it has been replaced by Bud Select 55 which is horrid... so light it shouldn't even be called beer- maybe just "eer"

I can still find Bud Select around here, but then I'm only an hours drive from St. Louis. And I would rather drink it than Bud Light.

The Select 55 is horrid. It is more like flavored water than anything else.

Regular Bud gives me a headache, but Bud Light is my go-to golfing beer. A sixer of Bud Light on a hot day on the course is pretty much how I envision heaven.

Busch Light was the drink of choice in college, it's pretty much all I drank. I graduated 7 years ago and I can't even drink the stuff anymore, it's so so bad. I don't think I'll be trying Black Crown, I heard it has a 6.7% ABV. That's too high to enjoy, IMO.

Regular Bud gives me a headache, but Bud Light is my go-to golfing beer. A sixer of Bud Light on a hot day on the course is pretty much how I envision heaven.

Busch Light was the drink of choice in college, it's pretty much all I drank. I graduated 7 years ago and I can't even drink the stuff anymore, it's so so bad. I don't think I'll be trying Black Crown, I heard it has a 6.7% ABV. That's too high to enjoy, IMO.

Agreed.

Strohs, Old Milwaukee's Best Ice, Old Milwaukee, Keystone Light, and Busch Light. The BJCP needs an "american college lager" category. That's what we drank.

Fancy was a six pack of Corona or Kilians.

I think you guys are missing something here. This is not your average American Light Lager. It's an AMBER Lager! So it's got to be darker than regular Bud and most of the other BMC stuff. So it HAS to taste better!

How beer led to the present day population catastrophe.

huh? seriously? I can't tell if that's sarcasm, because someone from the most sparsely populated state talking "present day population catastrophe" can't be doing anything but pulling my freaking leg

Huh? 6.7% too high to enjoy? Nobody give this guy a belgian or West Coast IPA to drink, he won't be able to handle it.....

seriously though I assume you mean you can't enjoy more than one as a session beer. Hell, my session beers these days are 5.5-6.5%. :rockin:

BigRedHopHead said:
Huh? 6.7% too high to enjoy? Nobody give this guy a belgian or West Coast IPA to drink, he won't be able to handle it.....

seriously though I assume you mean you can't enjoy more than one as a session beer. Hell, my session beers these days are 5.5-6.5%. :rockin:

A session beer is to contain no higher than 5% ABV.

A session beer is to contain no higher than 5% ABV.

LOL! Not where I come from! That may be the defined category strength, but in my neighborhood we call 5% or less "hydration beers". Just how we roll. To each his own.....

Back