22oz bottles and the 'sediment'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I was just thinking as I bottled my first batch of EBA this evening into 22oz bottles. I have them set aside in the garage to condition etc, but I was thinking of the sediment being disturbed upon pouring of the beer. Obviously you arent going to be able to fit all 22oz of beer into your glass (well maybe if I was drinking out of a tumbler) so the sediment will be disturbed when you repour to finish the bottle. This isnt an issue for me per se (Ill drink those yeasts all day long - hell, anything to make me fart MORE and Im all about it... But I digress)

Any other 22ozers out there. Can you describe your experiences?
-Me

I use 32 oz. bottles quite a bit.

The first pour into a pint glass is clear - the second glass is a little more cloudy, but if you've chilled long enough and pour good; most of the sediment is still left beind.

I've noticed that when the beer is in a cold fridge for more than 3 or so days, the yeast/sediment hardens (for lack of a better word) in the bottom of the bottle. No matter how hard you pour, if you pour it when it's cold, the sediment remains in the bottle (which should be rinsed with warm water fairly quickly or the stuff will be difficult to remove). Just use a tumbler or other large glass and pour it in there in one shot.

if you have the ability to cold crash before bottling then that would reduce the cloudiness. or you could use finings, but i've found the best clarification agent to be plain old time. plenty in the primary and sometimes secondary if it's needed.

if you bottle clear beer there shouldn't be too much sediment even after bottle carbing.

chilling for a long period of time helps a ton too. like at least a week, it'll seem like everything's stuck to the bottom.

I use 1 litre bottles. (Shut up spellchecker, I typed LITRE deal with it!)

Sure, it unsettles the sediment a tad, but the easier bottling and the more effective dutch ovens makes that small inconvenience worthwhile IMO

Hells yeah man! Im all about flatulence. Flatulence is funny - so funny in fact I wrote a poem about it many many years ago. Maybe someday over a homebrew I will share it. :)
-Me

I like Nottingham because it just sticks to the bottom even if you dump it. I have steins big enough for 22oz-ers, but I prefer to share them.

OH ****!!! I totally forgot about the beer stein that the wife got me when she visited overseas!

Cha-Ching!

Primary vessel for my first homebrew! Thanks for reminding me to make this experience that much more sacred!
And who says being a noob is so bad? I get to experience all of this cool **** (for the first time) that yall vets get to experience over and over...
Wait... Now Im jealous... ;)
-Me

I always rack to secondary and rack again to a bottling bucket, so I never have much sediment. I can't really even see it unless I'm looking for it.

I always rack to secondary and rack again to a bottling bucket, so I never have much sediment. I can't really even see it unless I'm looking for it.

He's talking about bottle conditioning yeast so unless you filter and force carb then you have the same amount of yeast as him. 2.4 volumes of CO2 creates the same amount of yeast sedimentation in the bottle whether you rack to secondary or not.

Joe, I'm in the same boat with you (and I fine, bulk age, fine again, and then cold crash) but I rarely want to pour myself 22 oz of beer at once. (Even if I did have that awesome stein you mentioned.) Like another poster mentioned I just pour two glasses with the second containing slightly more yeast stirrings.

I set a pint glass next to a pitcher.

I fill my glass then, without tipping the bottle back up, pour the remainder into the pitcher. This works great with large bottles like champagne or those quart tecate/cartablanca bottles. If it's just a 22 sometimes I will pour into two glasses one after the other.

The trick is to have the other container right there so you don't have to put the bottle down.

I've only used 22s and never had a problem with it clouding. Usually just a ring o' goo in the bottom of the bottle. A quick rinse with hot tap water gets it out easily too, as long as you do it right away.

Latest posts

Back