Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patbrew

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of British Bitter yesterday and I used an extract kit.The final amout was 4.25 gallons. The kit said to add 5/8 of a cup of sugar to the beer at bottleing, but I made a mistake and added 7/8 of a cup to the beer after disolving it. I bottled in 22oz bottles. Can I expect some exploding bottles or just some extra carb in the beer? Thanks:confused:

I just bottled a batch of British Bitter yesterday and I used an extract kit.The final amout was 4.25 gallons. The kit said to add 5/8 of a cup of sugar to the beer at bottleing, but I made a mistake and added 7/8 of a cup to the beer after disolving it. I bottled in 22oz bottles. Can I expect some exploding bottles or just some extra carb in the beer? Thanks:confused:

Probably just some overcarbonated beer. With 7/8 cup in 4.25 gallons, though, it'll be VERY carbonated. I weigh my sugar, and usually use 4 ounces by weight for most styles for 5 gallons.

You may want to wait two weeks, and then stick one in the fridge overnight. If it's carbed up, I'd stick them all in the fridge, or at least in a cold place to hopefully inhibit further carbonation. Bitters tend to be of a lower carbonation style anyway, so you could have used 1/2 the sugar you did and it would have come out fine.

How long was the beer fermenting, and did it reach the expected final gravity?

If it finished the above, I would not worry too much about bottle bombs, maybe a little over cabonation

The beer fermented for 13 days, I didnt have a hydrometer at the start to get the OG so I didnt take the FG, the bubbles stopped at the 7th or 8th day. Thanks for the advice, next time I'm using a scale. Hopefully it will still be great.

The beer fermented for 13 days, I didnt have a hydrometer at the start to get the OG so I didnt take the FG, the bubbles stopped at the 7th or 8th day. Thanks for the advice, next time I'm using a scale. Hopefully it will still be great.

next time maybe leave it in the primary for atleast 10, just my .02

UPDATE. The beer is great just a little over carb for the style but the flavor didn't suffer. Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back