Scored

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
One of my friends who travels alot for work showed up yesterday at my house with a brand new glass carboy molded into a styrofoam enclosure. It looks like an acid bottle because it has a screw top cap. It appears to be at least 7 gallons.

Best of all, he said this truck stop where he got it from has plenty of them and they are only $10. That is right, $10. I have already told him to get me at least 3 more the next time he is in the area.

He told me the truck stop is somewhere in Texas but did not know the name of it.

Post a picture. I'm curious as I don't think I understand what it looks like. Does sound like a nice score.

I just went fill with water and it is 7 gal. The styrofoam surrounding it is approx 1.5 inches thick. It is definitely meant to be a protective cases so the carboy can not break.

Picture - I have one but it is 7 MP and I can not upload that large of a photo. I have not been able to figure out how to resize the photo. Can anyone help. I have Kodak easy share software, HP photosmart software, and Print shop software. All I can find in these programs is how to do the basics( crop, red eye, border).

I just went fill with water and it is 7 gal. The styrofoam surrounding it is approx 1.5 inches thick. It is definitely meant to be a protective cases so the carboy can not break.

Picture - I have one but it is 7 MP and I can not upload that large of a photo. I have not been able to figure out how to resize the photo. Can anyone help. I have Kodak easy share software, HP photosmart software, and Print shop software. All I can find in these programs is how to do the basics( crop, red eye, border).

I'm pretty sure that even the most rudamentry programs like Photo smart will have a "resize image" option....look under Effects perhaps...you should then be able to change the image size...I usually use around 450 pixel width for here...

Also if you have photobucket, I THINK they now provide rudamentry photo manipulation tool when you upload a pic there...

OK, lets try this. I found out that my camera can be set for lower MP settings. There is also a top to match the bottom styrofoam

100_0498.jpg

$10. Very nice. One thing to consider is that once the yeast culture us up and rolling that their biological activity generates heat, a fair amount of heat. That styrofoam will act to retain that heat is my fear so you may need to compensate for that or ditch the foam when actually fermenting. There will be a fair amount of mixing due to turbulence within the vessel. I know when I checked the temperature of my sankey keg fermenter, conical, and carboy that I had to set my thermostat down 6°F to reach the desire temperature. I also placed a fan in the chest freezer to mix the air and that seemed to help. I'm not saying that it won't work whatsoever but I'd pay close attention to those fermentation temps.

Yup, acid bottle, have a couple. Used to pick up pickup truck loads for $5 and sell them to other brewers. M supplier switched to "bag in box" for acid, kinda like Pepsi and cornies!

+1 on the Styrofoam. It will get too hot in there, like over 80 in a 60F garage! I store and transport with the foam, and have a hole cut for an airlock for SECONDARY (no heat generation in secondary).

What's the Hotel name embossed into the glass. Just joking good find. If from the states your screwed with shipping costs.
I broke two within 5 years, stupid on my part both times.
My neighbor had a couple of them in a wood frame that must of been 7-8
gallons in size. I went outside after hearing glass breaking as he hammed them into pieces for the recycle bin. Too late on that one and they were larger than a 5 by a large amount. The box frames looked 50 years old.

Latest posts

Back