Lager temp. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkingmonkey

Reaction score
I bought a fridge for lagering, ($77 on ebay:rockin:), and the warmest setting ranges in temp. from 42-early AM, to 48-late afternoon.

My question is, does the 5-10 degree adjustment for ale fermentation work for lagers too. I have seen yeasts that work at 45 and 46 degrees. If my lowest wort temp is 47, (including adjustment), then I should be ok...Yes, no, maybe???

Generally, you should avoid large temperature swings during fermentation-- the yeast don't like it. If you get an external temperature controller and contect it to the refrigerator, you will be able to control the fermenation temperature much better than using the refrigerator's built-in thermostat.

I got mine from William's (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_II_P183C100.cfm) but there are plenty of others out there to choose from.

-Steve

I would say yes, that it could effect fermentation - possibly even stall it. You should consider getting some sort of temperature controller to more precisely control it's temperature.

Back