Wrong stopper. Hope I didn't ruin my batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cornfed

Reaction score
Finally got around to brewing that American Pale Ale last night. Extract with specialty grains from a local homebrew supply store.

Things were going along fine, and I was being extremely careful about sanitizing everything coming near the beer until literally the very last step. I transfered the wort to my 6.5 gallon carboy, pitched the yeast, and aerated well. But then when I tried to add the airlock, the $%^@ing thing kept popping out.

Now I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I kept pushing in and it kept popping out. And I kept re-dipping everything into my sanitizing solution (starsan and water) since I didn't want to infect the batch.

At one point, I said f it and took a paper towel (a new paper towel, at least) and wiped the inside of the neck of the carboy and the bottom of the stopper since I thought for some reason the wetness of the carboy neck was causing it to somehow reject my stopper (hopefully Bounty pre-sanitizes their paper towels....).

Anyway, about 5-10 minutes later, I finally tried my 6.5 stopper instead of the two 7's I'd been using all along, convinced it would just fall through since it was too small.

Of course, it fit like a charm, and a quick google showed me I should have been using the 6.5 all along.

Whoops. Rookie mistake.

Think I messed this batch up? I'm worried about my hands and paper towels being around the carboy neck, yeast I just pitched, and stopper so much. I did wash my hands previously, and they were in and out of the sanitizing solution frequently. But they were also in my ice bath a bunch previously which obviously wasn't sanitized. Plus, let's face it I'm a guy and a bit foul in general :)

I'm being a bit paranoid. I have the carboy in a cooler area of my apartment now away from light and it appears to be at ideal temps. No bubbling in the airlock yet, but it's only been about 8 hours. Hopefully it's going by the time I get home from work...

Same thing happened to me this last weekend. Until I get another stopper, I StarSan'ed everything, and then took painters tape to hold the airlock down. Checked it yesterday...working like a charm. I'm not worried about contamination, I dipped, and used a small spray bottle filled with the solution to spray everything down.

A buddy of mine put it in this perspective.......the Monks used to brew stream side....how sanitary was that? After that, I don't worry....I do my best to make sure everything is clean, dipped and sprayed.....the rest is in the hands of the Beer God.

Cornfed said:
Thanks, and that's some good perspective.

Meanwhile, this Universal Stopper will be part of my next homebrew purchase. $0.99 to ensure I don't repeat this blunder - http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=954&osCsid=25d23ac482454acf6528ebf409643d81

I use those, you will still need to wipe the stopper and carboy neck with a paper towel to remove starsan or whatever sanitizer you use, or they will pop right out. Risk of infection is very, very minute doing this.

This happened to me. I think the Star-San is to blame, it makes it very slippery. I just used some rubber bands to hold it down. Once the stopper and neck dry out, it holds it very tightly.

I prefer the 6.5 stoppers in most of my carboys. the #7's are a bit too big.

yeah, wet / starsan stoppers pop out. I've had to tape them down too! I dry them off w/a paper towel, just like other's describe here...

Wait until you push one all the way through and into the carboy. That's why I use carboy caps now. :D
Your beer will be fine. The beer shouldn't touch the neck/mouth, since you'll be siphoning it out, not pouring, so you shouldn't have to worry about contamination.

oh, we're all like that, jrakish87. Don't encourage them, or it will get worse. Then you'll get wiseacre's posting things like "Really Dumb Whistling Has A Harsh Blowing"

+1 on wiping the carboy neck and stopper with a dry paper towel before using. I have to do it every time otherwise the stopper will keep popping out.

I think it great how every one is almost as stupid as me and has shared the same experiences as me. About three weeks ago I pushed the stopper all the way through into the carboy. I found it amazing how easy it was to find at least 10 people who did the same thing. Then I even found a youtube video on how to get it out. I guess its all part of the fun and learning ho and what not to do as a beginning home brewer.

Wait until you push one all the way through and into the carboy. That's why I use carboy caps now. :D
Your beer will be fine. The beer shouldn't touch the neck/mouth, since you'll be siphoning it out, not pouring, so you shouldn't have to worry about contamination.

just FYI you can easily get it out of the carboy with a sheer scarf.

Whats the protocol if this DOES happen lol?? Would that affect the beer?

It sounds like you were sanitary enough, everyone who I ask tells me infection is more from things not being sanitized at all or from something touching the wort. But I just made my own first batch so we'll see how right I am! Thou I did help roommates brew..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back