What the *&^@#% is that floating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyDotty

Reaction score
Hi all, need some help. I'm fermenting a lager @ 50. I cracked the lid on the bucket today, and there's white flakes floating in it, real nasty looking. I've read some other posts and they describe little white flakes are actually yeast colonies, but there's nothing little about what I got. Before i dump it, can anyone identify whats going on. Here's some pics...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

photo3.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo.JPG

Looks like your krausen is breaking up. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it smells like vinegar.

Regardless of what it is, don't dump it! Keg it, lager it, and see how it turns out. Every beer I've made that has had something weird looking floating in it has turned out just fine, an I've been brewing since 2002. Believe in the process, my friend :)

I've had that in an ale. It was nothing to worry about. I feel mine was krausen that was broken up when I moved the fermentor around. I noticed no off tastes or anything weird.

Looks like pig fat to me. Probably not the best adjunct to use in lagers.

Thanks all! I was praying I don't have to dump, it smells too good. Too chicken to taste it though...

I'll let it finish and not worry too much.

It's just the yeast breaking up..the next step is it falling to the bottom

Back