I am on day 5 of Beer Fast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
A very good friend of mine opened up an all craft beer store, a month or so ago here in my city. I work there, and have always wanted to do a beer fast. I have read about the other guy who did the fast for 40 days or so, and have always been intrigued by it. We are on day 5 and let me tell you guys this thing SUCKS! I do not think I have ever gone a day without eating, much less 5 now! We only agreed to do two weeks though, just to get a feel for it.

We are drinking Weihenstephaner Korbinian, one of my favorite Dobbel Bocks, and I am already tired of it. Check out the blog we are doing on his website.

http://www.primoscraftbeer.com/primos-notes/

Here is the picture of my breakfast on day two.
CAM_0111.jpg

and my fridge.
CAM_0109.jpg

I think every body should try this at least for a day or two. Man it is an eye opening experience. Food is so so good:(.

When I first read the title I was shocked... 5 days without BEER! Someone has got to help this guy before he dies.

Now I see what you mean, my hat is tipped to you sir.

Wow Korbinian is the only beer? I would tire of it just because I wouldn't want to consume only that one beer for so long. At the very least I'd want to get some other beers in there to help with palate fatigue. Some nice milds and bitters to drink throughout the day, maybe a few witbiers here and there.

It is interesting that you have already started it. If you had waited a couple more weeks you could have timed it with Lent.

Wow Korbinian is the only beer? I would tire of it just because I wouldn't want to consume only that one beer for so long. At the very least I'd want to get some other beers in there to help with palate fatigue. Some nice milds and bitters to drink throughout the day, maybe a few witbiers here and there.

It is interesting that you have already started it. If you had waited a couple more weeks you could have timed it with Lent.

Well I am not religious at all, just wanted to see what it was to live on beer for a week or two. We can drink any beer we want we just chose that one as our bread and butter. I usually eat that for breakfast, then again for lunch and at night I will have something different. Beer in general is becoming unappetizing.

I'm not religious either, but if I were to do it, I'd do it for Lent just as a symbolic gesture more than anything else.

In fact you have me thinking about giving it a shot in a few weeks.

Have you lost any weight so far? Have you been measuring your weight? How about BAC? I think if I do it, part of the routine will be measurement of that stuff...they sell those breath analyzers pretty cheap.

How many beers have you been drinking per day, on average? Two weeks, eh? I'd imagine your tolerance will grow a bit by the end of that...

I have lost 12.5 lbs so far. The first day I lost 6.4 lbs. I am actually never drunk, I drink loads of water inbetween every beer. I am only drinking 3 beers a day at the moment, one in the morning around 7am (I cant sleep much), then one at noon, followed by one at night when I get home from work. There is a 4 hour gap inbetween my drinking and when I leave for work. I have not measured my BAC at all not a bad idea though.

Give it a shot, I would love to hear what you experience.

I think the weirdest thing is not going to the bathroom, I keep thinking there is not enough in there to push out what was there before. I constantly go number 1 but number 2 has not shown its brown head in 5 days, not even a fart!:drunk:

Yup, time to drink more beer! Better kick it up to 6 a day to make it more interesting. If you're doing the monk thing, why not throw down a few trappist/abbey belgians? Should be quite a contrast to the dopple bocks.

I think the weirdest thing is not going to the bathroom, I keep thinking there is not enough in there to push out what was there before. I constantly go number 1 but number 2 has not shown its brown head in 5 days, not even a fart!:drunk:

Dude, thats just too much info...I like the idea of drinking breakfast lunch and dinner though. When I was in Germany they had a beer delivery to the street workers every day for breaks and lunch. Never saw one of em drunk, but it sure took a long time to put the bricks back in the roads. Hard to tell if it was planned that way or if they were kind of doing the union "we work slower than two old people screwing" thing. It was fun to watch, especially when I pivot steered my armored vehicle and flicked the bricks back out of the road bed. Have fun..
Bob

Yup, time to drink more beer! Better kick it up to 6 a day to make it more interesting. If you're doing the monk thing, why not throw down a few trappist/abbey belgians? Should be quite a contrast to the dopple bocks.

I have been drinking belgian beers as well, had the St. Bernardus Wit some ommegan, and other stuff.

Dude, thats just too much info...I like the idea of drinking breakfast lunch and dinner though.

It is what it is. hahaha.

I was a wrestler in my high school days and cut a lot of weight my senior year...the wrong way. I know how you're feeling without food. Beer fasting...might help me kick some of these kegs that I can't seem to get rid of.

Good luck! :mug:

I had to take a pretty hardcore prescription drug for about 6 months back in 2006 and my doctor told me I'd pretty much keel over on the spot if I had more than one or two beers with this particular medication, so I stopped drinking altogether for 6 whole months. The two things I remember thinking over and over again during that trek through the desert where:

1) Where did all this extra money in my bank account come from...geez my mom was right, I DO drink too much.

2) ALL of my friends and all the random girls in the bars are unbearably abnoxious after they've had a few beers.....at least when I'm sober.

In the end, once I was off the medication, I concluded that it is better for everyone to just live in nicely buzzed bliss.

My hat goes off to you. I couldn't do it. I'm a light eater to begin with and fairly thin. If I start skipping meals it really messes with me. I'd be careful though. I don't know what the time frame is, but if you go too long without hard food you'll have to wein back on to it. My mom did one of those liquid diets back in the day and she had a really hard time transitioning back to regular food. I think she went for a month or two though. Good luck.

uh what?

you lost 6 pounds in a day just from not eating?

All that stored methane is making him lighter - he's like a dangerously explosive zeppelin. One day he'll let one rip (the humanity, the humanity!) and that weight will re-appear.

When I first saw the thread title, I jumped to conclusions and felt compelled to follow up and say "You're doing it wrong.".

Now that I've read your OP, I have to say:

You're doing it right.

CthulhuDreaming said:
It occurred to me that I've done this in my youth. We didn't call it a fast, though.

We called it a bender. :D

Hahahaaaa! I was thinking the same. I guess we had commitment, though. We called it college!

Talk about emotional roller-coaster. At first, I assumed you were on day 5 of beer FEST, and were too hammered to spell.

Then I thought: "wait, NOOOO!"

Then I read your OP, and realized "Yesssss!"

Actually by resting your organs by not eating it is giving them rejuvination,but pardoxily adding a toxin alchohol you are releasing that pretty quickly as you are injesting it. I would suggegest lemon juice and liver cleansing juices like beet kale apple celeery and other various vegetables.Although beer is not the way to fast ,this way is better than no way.Its not like you are getting wasted either. Lemon and water isa good way to fast a few days and cheap.People dont realize over eating is as bad as drinking heavily,like obese people. Not to mention the other garbage found in food like overprocessed and fast food.
Fasting is actually mind altering if anybody has every done it, your in a differnt mind frame by day 3. Its tough for me to give up coffe when i fast,and i can barley make it more than a few days without a beer these days.I know i feel pretty damn good after it though.

Thanks guys!

To those you are willing to give this a try, I would love to hear from you if you do start. Get ready for a life changing experience.

Back