What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went through and redid my water averaging spreadsheet for the new water at my new address. Took much longer to set up initially even though the data didn't go back as far. Originally averaged all my water data month by month from annual water reports dating back to 2006 from my old water source, took about 6 hours to set up from scratch. My new source goes back to 2001, but only took about 2-3 hours just to punch in the new data.

I calculated my water additives for a batch of westy 12° for Sunday... Also bought the distilled water...

Switching out frozen water bottles to keep swamp cooler at a nice 62 deg's while Notty does their work on my Sumpin Sumpin clone :)

Ordered a 1/2 BBL fermenter from SSBrewTech. Been waiting for months. Psyched.

This means I will be able to ferment 10+ gallons batches in a single vessel rather than splitting into two separate carboys. This also expands my pipeline capacity from 15 gallons to 30 gallons.

This will go into the upright freezer I bought on Craigslist for $75. I'll have to pop an STC-1000 into that pretty soon for use as a ferm temp ctl chamber.

Put together my own kit to brew tomorrow morning! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399145112.974997.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I hear ya. I gotta clean up after yesterday's brew day this morning. Had to wait a bit long for son to get off work in that cold,dark parking lot last night. But my ESB started bubbling during the night. Covered the fermenter this morning & noticed it's still at 22C (71.6F). But the nearly 5L of cold break compacted down to about 1/2L by this morning,so it's all good. The markings on my Cooper's Microbrew FV read in Liters & the temp strip in Celsius in case anyone's wondering. Out of a max of 1.049OG,I got a 1.060. Checked it twice again to be sure. I guess my mash/steep efficiency is good after more than a year of practice at mashing?...:mug:

I was an ambassador for the hobby.

While brewing in the garage, a neighbor was walking up the alley with his two little girls, and he stopped to chat about brewing and how he'd like to get into it. I told him how it's really easy to start with extract and recipe kits, and how you can start just using the stovetop and not a whole lot of fancy equipment, etc.

Almost done with cleaning up after yesterday's big brew day. I guess I got the re-hydrate temp vs wort temp nailed last night. It started fermenting in a couple hours! Seems like the brew gods were smiling on us all yesterday?! :rockin:

Worked on my brew panelImageUploadedByHome Brew1399222897.651393.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1399222919.033076.jpg still waiting for a heat sink for the SSVR and 3 switches. Need to have the box powder coated after just like the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After brewing yesterday & cleaning up today,I decided to order NB's Petite Saison de'ete kit with the French 3711 yeast. Gonna try brewing a saison next when the red ale fermenter opens up. It's good to have the extra cash again to brew regularly once more.

After brewing yesterday & cleaning up today,I decided to order NB's Petite Saison de'ete kit with the French 3711 yeast. Gonna try brewing a saison next when the red ale fermenter opens up. It's good to have the extra cash again to brew regularly once more.

Just bottled my saison with 3711 (on the left) it's definitely my favorite saison yeast

C360_2014-05-04-08-18-34-496.jpg

C360_2014-05-04-08-18-57-537.jpg

Nice color. I've been doing some pipeline fillers this time. Some beers I haven't brewed yet. Then I'll get back to pb/pm biab after I get a few bottled.

I looked at empty bottles and thought about filling them.
My thoughts precisely. After some refinancing & all,I got to start brewing again. If I didn't know better,I'd swear it made my wife smile? I just hated seeing those poor bottles being so neglected.
Added my braided filter for my new mash tun, and made a starter for the black ipa on deck :)

I started nuking the spring water for my re-hydrations in my 1,000mL flask myself. Then use my All-Temp laser thermometer to get it to the right temp for re-hydrating my yeast. Quicker & easier just using the flask.:mug:

I am anxiously awaiting a message back, from someone selling a keg nearby. I'm hopeful that this will work out, however I have my reservations.

Kicked a keg of root beer today and a keg of blonde on Friday. Cleaned them and the lines, made more soda and I'm waiting on a beer to finish for the other keg.

Organized some of my beer and brewing equipment yesterday after buying a new shelf.
Son and swmbo filled up the non working fridge with homebrew.

1399328140421.jpg

1399328158470.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Swung past the university science supply store for an Erlenmeyer flask. Turns out campus doesn't charge taxes on purchases making it an even better deal. Guess it's the least they could do to make up for having to park for the privilege of shopping there.

I might have to check out my local university can the public just stop in and buy or do you have to be a student?

Transferred saison to secondary and added Brett, then brewed up an imperial black saison. Shot for 5.5 gallons at 1.084, got 6 gallons at 1.090!
The first runnings looked like dirty motor oil.

Finishing up putting things away from NHB day brew. It's just about done with initial fermentation today. Got a saison kit coming in tomorrow...

Since my bottle harvest yeast experiment seems to have fallen flat on it's face, I picked up my first liquid smack pack, Wyeast 3068. This weekend may have impending hefeweizen.

Since my bottle harvest yeast experiment seems to have fallen flat on it's face, I picked up my first liquid smack pack, Wyeast 3068. This weekend may have impending hefeweizen.

Don't give up on it! My own bottle-harvesting experiment seemed to be entirely unsuccessful for the first five or six days, but yesterday, four days into step two, I saw krausen and active fermentation.

Back