7cf GE Freezer On Sale @ Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkramer56

Reaction score
Wanna make a keezer? Home Depot has the 7 cubic foot GE freezer on sale right now, online or in the store for $168.00; regular price is $219.00.

They are advertising an online special also with free shipping if you order it online. I got one yesterday. It's not too heavy. My wife and I loaded it ourselves in our Jeep.

I'm makin' me a keezer. Ordered all the stuff yesterday. I like my True but it's too noisy to have in the living area.

If you make a collar, make sure it's tall enough so you can put kegs on the hump. Nothing suck more than getting the kegerator all setup and realizing the keg on the hump doesn't clear the lid by an inch :mad:

I use 2 x 6 on mine. It was not a great job so I'm probably going to rebuild it anyways. ( I know have a compound mitre saw :) )

You need a 10" collar to fit a ball lock corny keg on the hump with this keezer in or to clear the QDs.

Or you can buy a 2.5 gallon keg if you don't want to build a collar. That's what I have on the hump.

How many carboys can this thing hold? I was thinking of picking it up for a ferm chamber but only if it held 2 carboys then once I can afford a larger chest freezer turn the 7 into a keezer.

How many carboys can this thing hold? I was thinking of picking it up for a ferm chamber but only if it held 2 carboys then once I can afford a larger chest freezer turn the 7 into a keezer.

It fits two 6 gallon carboys on the floor. My wife says I can't have a 2nd freezer until we get a house. :mad:

Could you fit a 5 gallon better bottle on the hump? You'd have to do some kind of support stand. How tall would the collar have to be?

It would be awesome to fit 4 ball locks on the floor and still have space to lager a batch.

Could you fit a 5 gallon better bottle on the hump? You'd have to do some kind of support stand. How tall would the collar have to be?

It would be awesome to fit 4 ball locks on the floor and still have space to lager a batch.

You could do anything with a tall enough collar but that would be a very tight squeeze with any reasonably sized collar (12" or less). It is very tight with 5 ball locks including one on the hump. You could always lager a batch in a keg though. That is what I do.

I am fairly certain 4 cornies on the floor and a 5 gallon BB on the hump will not fit.

However, 4 cornies on the floor and a 3 gallon BB or 3 gallon carboy would probably fit but you would need a collar. My 3 gallon is in use otherwise i would test it for you and see.

Good timing, my fermentation freezer broke. I'm done buying used freezers of craigslist, at $50 each I've gone through 3 now. Coulda just bought a new one for ~$200 and it'd probably still be working.

This freezer kicks much ass. Still going strong as my keezer and the price is great for a new unit. Beats having to sweat a CL freezer biting it on you (just happened to my ferm chamber). :)

This freezer kicks much ass. Still going strong as my keezer and the price is great for a new unit. Beats having to sweat a CL freezer biting it on you (just happened to my ferm chamber). :)

Glad I'm not the only one, but sorry your freezer broke - pain in the butt for sure.. no more 10-20 year old CL pieces of junk for me. I'm gonna head over to the Depot this afternoon to see if they have any.

Yeah it went when I was in the middle of a fermentation. I ended up buying a 14.8 Maytag to replace it. Cost a heck of a lot more than the CL one I was using but I didn't have to go pick it up then clean it up and overhaul it either, heh.

I'm debating converting the thing into a permanent fermentation chamber but am not sure if I want to commit to that. Much easier to use a portable temp controller so I can use it as whatever I need.

Back