DIY Stir Plate... Worth It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I don't have an old PC to salvage the magnets or fan out of. I have no problem building quality DIY projects but is it really worth it? I priced it out at Radio Shack and these are round about prices: Project box $8, Fan $10, Switch $3, Rheostat and Knob $5. +SH this would equal about $38 and that is not including the magnets. Those of yall that have built stir plates or other electronic devices what do you think? Is the DIY stir plate worth it when I can buy one for $50? Are there better sites out there that would carry everything I would need for cheaper? I know RS probably charges an arm and a leg for simple things but I cant seem to find another good site. Thanks for the input.

I got a cigar box from the liquor store. Used an old PC fan, a strong magnet that I already had and a dc adapter I had laying around. I went to Radio Shack and bought a rheostat and switch for about $10. I also ordered a stir bar for about $6. I had a lot of fun building it. I think it was worth it for me.

I saw a youtube video of one in a cigar box... yours? Could I order a magnet in a single bar to glue on the fan? say like 2" long .25" wide.125" thick?

If you like to buy everything new, as your post suggests, then maybe you're better off not building one.

Mine cost me $0.

Junk PC fan in my box o' computer parts: $0
Hard drive that went bad and salvaged the magnet: $0
7VDC dapter from God knows what: $0
Rheostat from VFD control at work $0
For the enclosure: abandoned Bell South cable box that was nailed to the side of my house: $0

Just saying... some stuff in your list of parts isn't really "needed" to make it functional, but instead to make it look good (box, new fan, etc). So it's up to you if you want to spend money to make it look nice, or if you just want something that works.

With a 7vdc adapter, the rheostat isn't really necessary, in my opinion. My rheostat stays cranked to 100% all the time.

Mine was "free" also. Found all the stuff just like JP. Took a fan and added a plexiglass plate on top attached via 3 inch screws which are the legs to lift it up off the table and allow better airflow. It's on or off...no rheostat needed.
I did break down and buy a stir rod though. Just couldn't get that piece of bar to coat properly with that plastic dip.........................did someone say cheapster

The only thing 'not need' is the project box (as stated I have no box of comp parts or my large HVAC parts at work would make a way to big stir plate). A rheostat would be nice in order to control the speed. Besides that maybe the better question is "How do the commercial ones on the homebrew sites compare to the DIY ones?"

I built mine recently, and I think it really comes down to how easy it is to find the parts. If you have a computer lying around where you can get a fan and a magnet off of the hard drive, a container, and a old cell phone charger, you're a trip to RadioShack away from having a stir plate. If all those things aren't accessible, you'll have to buy the fan, the magnet, or scour the dump looking for stuff. After about my 4th trip to RadioShack/Computer Repair Shop/Hardware store, I was right on the fence about building it.

The biggest question is if your time is worth it.
If parts are not readily available it will take several hours to gather them and build this simple device, no guarantee that it will work as you would like either. If that is worth your time then do it, if not then buy it.

I am debating this now, I have everything I need scattered around my house but I may not be able to pass up this deal:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/The-Yeast-Hog-1000-%2d-Yeast-Starter-Lab.html

That last deal actually looks pretty good. I just wish there was more info available on the pros and cons of the DIY stir plates compared to the commercial ones. I enjoy DIY projects and I don't put any price whatsoever on my 'time' when it involves brewing but this one may be better to just buy.

Mine cost me around $6 due to having to buy a dimmer switch at Lowes. The rest I had at home. Best $6 I've spent so far.

beerloaf

I found a lab quality stir plate on ebay for around $40. I had built one myself with parts on hand, but was not satisfied with the quality. It was very touchy and difficult to control. Watch ebay and you should be able to find a lab quality stir plate for under $50.

I plan on buying this one.

http://www.stirstarters.com/

I don't have any of the spare parts lying around for a DIY one either. For $42 plus a lifetime warranty I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

I have had great luck with the stirstarters.com stir plate. He's a good guy to deal with.

I also made one from scratch too, and it was fun and I enjoyed the project. It took me a while to get it to spin just right, but it wasn't too hard. To the OP, I say there is no wrong way to go here...

Mine cost $0.

2x hard drive magnets (from one very old 20gb hard drive), old computer fan, small cardboard box waterproofed with black duct tape, 5v phone charger cord, and 4 screws (to support and adjust the height of the top of the box). I don't use a rheostat or any speed control, the 5v transformer runs at a good speed. There was a little trial and error in figuring out the ideal height for the top of the box and size of stir bar so as not to throw the bar, since I got that figured out I've been very happy with it.

I would think you could find a broken or old hard drive/computer on craigslist for next to nothing if you don't have any parts lying around. I live near a Micro Center and they sell cheap computer fans for $1 at the store which is convenient.

I built mine. I did not want to spend even ~$50. The flask and stir bar were the big items.
Cigar box = 0
from an old computer
magnets from Hard drive = 0 I use the second magnet to fish out the stir bar. Just slide it from the bottom to the mouth,
fan = 0
Power supplies from old electronics that I don't use or don't work.
I bought a rheostat and knob at Radio Shack $6.46
and some screws at Walmart $.99

$7.45 total.

The first power pack was from an old wireless router that gave too much power. It made the fan spin too fast and the stir bar would get thrown. I then found another power pack from an old answering machine - spins at just the right speed now.

I have saved between $45 - $60 which has already gone toward ingredients.

Back