Hardware store clear vinyl tubing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
Hi, first post here...

Clear vinly tubing like that sold at home depot/lowes, etc.... Curious if anyone uses it, and had any problems doing so..

I need about three feet of 1/2" to direct water/wort out of my HLT/brew kettle, and a foot or two to do the same out of my mash tun.. (at least for temporary use)... I live in the stix, I have a semi-urgent need for 'something' and it's gonna be a while before I can get to the local Home Brew Shop or order anything on line...

But I don't want to ruin the beer, if that's what it comes to...

I use it all the time. It's a heluva lot cheaper than what you'll get at the lhbs. :)

...and if you're curious, the Lowe's website's description for vinyl tubing will even specify that it is of food grade material...

Same stuff sold by LHBS, just a LOT cheaper!!!

Now, if we could just get the Orange Box to carry silicone tubing....

AWESOME! 'That' is what I wanted to hear.. They have it at the local mountain hardware store.. sans the $30 in gas to get to the LHBS and back....

what temps will it be at? vinyl doesn't handle heat too well

What I need it 'right now' for is chilled wort (doing an extract brew on tuesday).. so it will be at 60-70 degrees.. but the next brew will be AG on saturday (or maybe sooner), and for that I will need it to handle 165-170 degrees from the HLT to the mash tun, and then slightly cooler from the mash tun to the collection buckets, and then 60-70 degrees from the kettle to the fermenter...

Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes all carry that vinyl tubing. They also carry the other stuff that will handle hot water. I am sure it will say wether it is food grade or not. I have bought the clear tubing at Menards. $2 for 10'. Much better than the LHBS. Practically disposable at that price. If it was ok on the environment I probably wouldn't reuse it.

I use it for cool wort/beer. I have the good heat resistant food grade stuff for the hot side.

yeah that tube is perfect for most uses. Only thing i wouldn't use it for is hot liquid transfer. I use silicone tubeing on my system to move hot liquids around. But i use the cheap stuff from HD for pretty much everything else

I just bought 10' of this tubing from Lowe's for about $2.50, but I got some guys on here telling me NOT to use it in my setup. I want to use for tap-to-faucet tubing, as I currently only have a 2' line and it results in exorbitant amounts of foam. You guys saying not to worry and just use this tubing? I'm getting such conflicting answers! It would require me cutting the faucet and tap-connector off the old tubing, just fyi, to do the switch.

. but the next brew will be AG on saturday (or maybe sooner), and for that I will need it to handle 165-170 degrees from the HLT to the mash tun,

Get the reinforced with the RED stripe, rated at 165° F.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back