Peach Port Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyfeet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really getting into Port lately, and I thought it would be fun to make a few 1 gallon batches of some fruit port.

Here's what I have so far for a peach recipe:

Ingredients:
Yeast (not sure what kind yet)
6 lbs peaches
1 Can White Welch's Grape Juice Concentrate
Sugar go SG 1.090
3" cinnamon stick
Water to 1 gallon
1t pectin
1 campden
.5t DAP

Chop peaches with skin (discard pits), add grape juice concentrate, cinnamon stick, sugar, campden, DAP, water.
Let sit 12 hrs.
Add pectin.
12 hrs later, add yeast.
Moniror SG until it reaches 1.030. This will be 8%.
Add everclear to reach 18%.
Let sit a few days to let everything settle and to extract more flavor from the peaches and cinnamon.
Rack, and keep racking until clear. I expect to let this age for about a year or so.
I may add some vanilla to this after some aging. Not sure, though.

The same basic recipe would be used for a Chocolate Banana (6 lbs bananas, Ghirardelli chocolate powder).

How does the recipe sound? Has anyone made a peach port or something similar before?

I like the idea and recipe. I say definitely go for it. You may need something with more body as the peaches and grape concentrate may still be a little thin. But I like where you're going with this.

I just fortified a batch of cherry wine and a black raspberry wine with Everclear. I went to about 21.7% and 21.6% resectively. I'm just going to let them clear out and rack them just to make sure they are nice and clear before bottling.

I just used a basic wine recipe for each, and only added plain sugar to the batches.

I have a batch of apple wine that I will be adding brandy to. My target is 21-22% I will then back sweeten with some aj conc. Finally, I will be adding oak to half. When doing my Pearson's calcs I really wish everclear was avail.
If all goes well I will expand my 'port' making

Back