Budweiser Select 55

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Budweiser Select 55, 55 calorie lite American Light Lager.

Seriously?! How long will it take for some marketing genus to sell 0 calorie beer that is just carbonated water with a yellow food coloring and a touch of hop tea to it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_%28Anheuser-Busch%29#Budweiser_Select_55 said:
A version of Budweiser Select that contains 55 calories per 12 ounce serving is "a direct counterstrike to Miller's MGD 64" according to Anheuser-Busch officials. Budweiser currently claims that it is the lightest beer in the world. It should be noted the calories in both Miller's MGD 64 and Budweiser's Select 55 have been reduced simply by lowering the fermentables content. MGD 64 has only 2.8% alcohol content and Select 55 has an even lower 2.4%, by comparison, most beers have around 5%.

At that point, they'd likely just strain the water through whole grain. Carbonate and bottle.

The alcohol will come from a change in their use of sanitizer.

This is what you buy when you are obsessed with calorie counts and want others to think you drink "beer".

Water with a splash of lime/lemon would be a better sub.

Select 55 Lime, because you know it is just a matter of time.

Heeeeeey now. There's an idea. Budweiser 55 Lambic. You know, cause it's sour.

Keep statements like that and it will look like you are working for InBev:D

I kid, I kid:mug:

Or Select 55 Lambic Cherry. Sort of the alcohol(mildly) version of Dr. Pepper Cherry. Cuz, I'm a doctor. :drunk:

Is there a legal threshold for "alcoholic beverage" that they're in danger of not meeting? :) Yikes... at 2.5%, they're in danger of losing the market share who patronizes their products simply to get a buzz. :)

Is there a legal threshold for "alcoholic beverage" that they're in danger of not meeting? :) Yikes... at 2.5%, they're in danger of losing the market share who patronizes their products simply to get a buzz. :)

Maybe Inbev and the Obama Admin are trying to lower the drinking age. This would qualify as a "youth" beer. :cross:

That or a session beer for the elderly.

Yikes... at 2.5%, they're in danger of losing the market share who patronizes their products simply to get a buzz. :)

I doubt it. When your intent with drinking is to get blasted, it is amazing how little alcohol it takes for people to act like idiots and think they are "waaaaaaassstteeedddddd".

Man those guys are sooo cool. I have always wanted to be like them.

I doubt it. When your intent with drinking is to get blasted, it is amazing how little alcohol it takes for people to act like idiots and think they are "waaaaaaassstteeedddddd".

Man those guys are sooo cool. I have always wanted to be like them.

I stand corrected, how right you are!

I wonder if a blind taste test amongst frat boys would result in the same antics after the same number of beers? For example, "You think I'm fun now, wait until I get 4 beers in me!" I wonder if people do act that way based on number of beers or some such.

I know I drank Miller Lite all night at a friends place when I was thirsty for something that wasn't water, and that was all he had. Never so much as felt a buzz... maybe that's not a good thing. :)

A couple weeks ago, there was a poll going around Facebook (sponsored by AB, I should add) which asked what you would prefer: 1/8 of a hot dog, a 1" square brownie, or a whole bottle of Budweiser Select 55. The brownie was crushing the competition, and I can't help but wonder if AB pulled the poll by now.

A couple weeks ago, there was a poll going around Facebook (sponsored by AB, I should add) which asked what you would prefer: 1/8 of a hot dog, a 1" square brownie, or a whole bottle of Budweiser Select 55. The brownie was crushing the competition, and I can't help but wonder if AB pulled the poll by now.

hahahahaha that's awesome.

Yea we carry it where I work. People were asking for it before we got it in. Whyyy? You obviously aren't drinking it for the taste, or the buzz (unless you down a case, you might get a buzz at most), so why? Is it just so you can be drinking beer while watching your calories? Cool factor? I don't know. People are stupid. Then they go buy a damn BigMac, of course they get a diet coke. Idiots.

let's see. bud light is 110 calories. bud select 55 is 55 calories.

someone buy a select 55 and a bud light. empty half the bud light

pour 55 in a glass, get an identical glass, pour bud light in, top off with water, stir

if they taste the same I have found the recipe.

replace bud light with bud select if you're feeling fancy

also, about the hot dog poll I feel like that was a very biased poll (obviously) sure a hot dog can have 400 calories. but are you talking a full fat bacon made hotdog with mayo and bacon on top of it? I've never seen a 400 calorie hot dog. unless it uses a gigantic bun.

they should be fair in their comparison. select 55 is a very low cal beer, compare it to the 50 calorie fat free turkey dogs. I'd rather have one of them

Yea we carry it where I work. People were asking for it before we got it in. Whyyy? You obviously aren't drinking it for the taste, or the buzz (unless you down a case, you might get a buzz at most), so why? Is it just so you can be drinking beer while watching your calories? Cool factor? I don't know. People are stupid. Then they go buy a damn BigMac, of course they get a diet coke. Idiots.

Some people have to drink diet pop because they are diabetic. So don't assume that everyone who orders fast food is on a low-calorie diet. And then, some people just prefer the taste (shudders).

As far as Select 55, FCK IT! FCK IT IN THE @SS!!!! I normally just ignore the light beers and watery American Style Lagers and leave them for the people who like that sort of crap, but this is just friggin stupid!

It's like grain soda.

Some people have to drink diet pop because they are diabetic. So don't assume that everyone who orders fast food is on a low-calorie diet. And then, some people just prefer the taste (shudders).

As far as Select 55, FCK IT! FCK IT IN THE @SS!!!! I normally just ignore the light beers and watery American Style Lagers and leave them for the people who like that sort of crap, but this is just friggin stupid!

It's like grain soda.

I am that person who orders a bigmac and gets a diet soda. A hamburger bun is max 30 carbs. That small soda is 60. I get diet just so I don't use up my insulin supplies on one meal.

I, for one, am kinda happy for it. I have this habit of being good on beer on weekdays (like 3 or 4 all week), and then putting away like 12 on a Saturday. This brings it down to about six in calories AND abv while I still get to drink 12 beers. I almost went for the NA beers, but this is truly a happy medium for me.
I still loves me IIPA's, hefe's, APA's and a trip to the local McMenamins brew pub anytime!

I, for one, am kinda happy for it. I have this habit of being good on beer on weekdays (like 3 or 4 all week), and then putting away like 12 on a Saturday. This brings it down to about six in calories AND abv while I still get to drink 12 beers. I almost went for the NA beers, but this is truly a happy medium for me.
I still loves me IIPA's, hefe's, APA's and a trip to the local McMenamins brew pub anytime!

Wait, what? Drinking a 12pack to drink a 12pack?

They've got this new thing called water. It's great. :confused:

Trying this right now. Sort of tastes like mineral water. Clear glass bottle. Highly carbonated but with no head or lacing. Faint hop aroma that does not come through in the taste.The bottle states an ABV of 4% but I don't know if I buy that. It's certainly easy drinking and refreshing but rather boring other than that.

Cheers :mug:

I tasted it at a beer festival. I don't mind an ice-cold Budweiser once in a blue moon, but the 55 was just vile. It fails at being beer-flavored soda.

I tasted it at a beer festival. I don't mind an ice-cold Budweiser once in a blue moon, but the 55 was just vile. It fails at being beer-flavored soda.

You mix Bud and Blue Moon? :D Do you throw in a little triple hopped goodness just so you can support BMC all at once??? ;) :ban:

(I know, I know, Miller and Coors merged)

Back