can i re-carbonate beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misteradam

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just finished carbonating an extract brew I made. This is the first time I've poured sugar into the bottles instead of using the pre measured sugar drops from coopers.

Well, it's been 2 weeks ( it's a cream ale ) and while there is carbonation, it's not carbed all the way. Imagine leaving your beer on the table for 2 hours and coming back to it, that's how they are.

I was wondering if I could open up the bottles, add a little more sugar, and close them up again? I'm using the plastic screw top 16oz bottles for this. I think I used 12oz measurements and didn't increase it enough.

Thanks,

-Adam

Rather than make possible bombs, leave your beer alone for a week or two more. The general rule is 3 weeks at 70° for full carbonation.

For more consistency, you might want to think about bulk priming rather than individual bottles. Boil up your sugar in a couple cups of water and add to bottling bucket before you rack the beer into it.

Plastic bottles can take more C02. You shouldn't need to worry about bombs. You know what you did wrong so you may as well fix it.

I have came across a few bottles that I didn't cap tight. 2 grams of table sugar and a new cap fixed them.

thanks for your thoughts, guys. i think i will wait another week to be safe and then add more sugar.

the re-carbonating didn't pan out. when i try to add additional sugar to the bottles they foam up and spill all over the place. i will enjoy the semi-flat beer as much as i can. at least it's a cheap recipe!

Back