clear beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolkid102938

Reaction score
i'm scared. My first batch of beer cleared so i could see right through the bottle. my second batch, a german style light ale, has been conditioning for 12 days and is still cloudy. i can still see my hand on the other side of the bottle but it's much more cloudy than my first batch. Should I be worried?

There are a lot of variables you need to clear up before anyone can answer your question. What were the two respective types of beer? How long were you conditioning each of these brews? At what temperatures were you keeping each of them while they fermented/conditioned/cleared up?

the first was a blonde ale conditioned in a wine cellar for three weeks at 63 degrees. the second is a german style light ale conditioned for ten days at 63 degrees in the same cellar. the first beer cleared in about 4 days. thanks

Usually my beers take a little longer to clear than 10 days. Are you adding irish moss in the boil or geletin in the secondary? These will clear you beer up a lot.

I had one batch that took almost 3 months to drop clear & it was fantastic. Relax. It'll be good beer.

Back