Addition of hops at flameout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millermeter22

Reaction score
I understand what adding hops at flameout is but don't get what happen betwen that point and adding the wort of a partial boil to the cold water in the fermented. Should you wait some time or rack right away? Best practices in terms of transferring hot wort from kettle to primary while leaving hops behind would also be appreciated

I understand what adding hops at flameout is but don't get what happen betwen that point and adding the wort of a partial boil to the cold water in the fermented. Should you wait some time or rack right away? Best practices in terms of transferring hot wort from kettle to primary while leaving hops behind would also be appreciated

When you add the hops at flameout, you simply add them and turn out the flame. Then, you start cooling the wort. You can do that in a water bath in the sink, or with an immersion wort chiller. Once the wort is below 80 degrees, you can add it to the fermenter with the top off water. (You don't want to rack hot wort- it'll melt your siphon!).

As far as transferring after the cooldown, you could either siphon it, or pick it up and pour it. Since I can't lift 5 gallons, I siphon the first half, then pick up the kettle and pour the rest in. You can strain it if you want, either through a sanitized strainer (like a spaghetti colander), or use a big mesh bag. I don't usually strain my wort, though.

Back