Stink Bugs and Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infielders3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need some help identifying my bug dilemma and any helpful hints to eradicating them. I think stink bugs may be eating my hops. I was wondering if anyone could verify if these are stink bugs or not and if they have any solutions before I lose more of my precious hops.

I just planted the rhizomes this spring. I planted Willamette and Nugget. So far the nugget is growing very slowly but is bug-less while the Willamette is growing wonderfully... or was growing wonderfully until one of the vines started to wilt. I found this bug and others like him climbing around in my Willamette vines and I fear they are the source of the sudden decline in the vine's health.

Anyone know what I am dealing with and if there is an easy way to kill them and get them out of my plants?

2dudm46.jpg

21e451l.jpg

Looks like a Stink Bug nymph. I'm not sure what can be done about them. They are not supposed to be in the US and I don't know if they've made far enough West to have hit any of the major hop producing regions. Here is an article from Penn State that talks about them and has some pics. From the sound of it, last year they officially became an agricultural pest in PA.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

Back