Why do my hoses keep slipping off my check valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Earlier this year I bought this keg kit from keg connection: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=326

I've used the kegs successfully several times but I've never used both kegs at once until now. I'm setting up for a big Oktoberfest party on Saturday night and tonight I was moving my kegs into the fridge and hooking them up to gas (I naturally carb in the keg with dextrose) and all the sudden one of my hoses slipped off from the check valve, then the other hose slipped off the check valve! It looked like a small amount of beer was coming out of my hoses and of course gas was spraying, but I quickly hooked them back up and they seemed fine. I just went to check on them again and as soon as I grabbed one of the hoses, it slipped off again! No beer this time though. As of right now they seem normal. I don't hear any gas leaking or anything like that.

Is there a reason for this? Did I shake my kegs up when moving them? Do I need to bleed off some pressure? Anyone have any ideas? I didn't think the hoses should come off that easily. Should I tie wrap them in place until I can find a better solution? PLEASE HELP!!!

All of my hoses have clamps on them. I wouldn't use them without it. You should probably do that. And yes, it is likely excess pressure.

All of my hoses have clamps on them. I wouldn't use them without it. You should probably do that. And yes, it is likely excess pressure.

Yeah, I kind of thought it was odd that they didn't have clamps. If you look at the picture on their site, you can see clamps at the check valves. It's just odd that it has worked fine until now. I've been kegging for the past 6 months.

I guess I'll just tie wrap them until I can get to the hardware store and pick up some metal clamps.

If you can't get the clamps right away, and you say they've been working fine in the past. Just cut off about an inch or two of the hose where it was going onto the fitting. Most likely, the hose has stretched over time. By cutting off the "used" piece you'll be putting a fresh, non-stretched hose onto the fitting.

If you can't get the clamps right away, and you say they've been working fine in the past. Just cut off about an inch or two of the hose where it was going onto the fitting. Most likely, the hose has stretched over time. By cutting off the "used" piece you'll be putting a fresh, non-stretched hose onto the fitting.

Yeah. This is correct. Stuff stretches.

Yeah clamps are the solution you're looking for. I think that the size you want is #4, as far as worm clamps go.

There's a picture/thread on here from some guy who didn't use clamps on his setup and ended up with an entire keezer full of beer. Not fun.

Thats odd when I got my stuff from kegconnection it came assembled with oetiker style clamps attached at the check valve and worm clamps on the disconnects. I think he even advertises that the killy come fully assembled.

Yeah, it's weird that there are clamps at every fitting except for my check valve. I'm assuming it was just an oversight by keg connection since their picture clearly shows there should be clamps there. I plan to stop at the hardware store tonight and pick some up. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Latest posts

Back