Question about hops and IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a DIPA in the next few batches. Now, hop wise, I've decided to use 3 hop variaties. Columbus for bittering, and then simcoe & amarillo for flavor/aroma. Question is, I want this to be really, really big on flavor and aroma, so will adding say 2.5oz of simcoe during the last 20 minutes in three additons have a big affect on the IBU's in this beer? I figured then I would dry hops with 2oz of Amarillo, 1oz of Simcoe and 1oz of columbus in secondary for around three weeks. I've never brewed anything with this much hops, but after tasting my last IPA which was generously hopped, I think there's definitely a bit of room to go nuts here!

15 mins or less will have more of an impact on flavor. At 20 minutes, there is a lot of bittering and it won't add as much flavor. I would say .5 oz at 15 min, 1 oz. at 10 and 1 oz at 5 would make it super tasty.

After about 45 minutes into the boil the bitterness contribution really starts to drop off. At 15 or 20 minutes you'll still be adding some bitterness, but mostly flavor.

If you're dryhopping that big you may want to think about removing any aroma boil additions. Afterall, that's why you're dry hopping.

After about 45 minutes into the boil the bitterness contribution really starts to drop off. At 15 or 20 minutes you'll still be adding some bitterness, but mostly flavor.

If you're dryhopping that big you may want to think about removing any aroma boil additions. Afterall, that's why you're dry hopping.

..and only dry hop for two weeks max. After that you'll be tasting grass clippings.

..and only dry hop for two weeks max. After that you'll be tasting grass clippings.

Not true, I dry hop in my cornies and have had hops in them for a month will no adverse affect. One beer went 3 months and was still delicious.

Back