Rouse yeast before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unkle Danky

Reaction score
I have a hefe thats been bottled for 13 days now. I opened up one (second one so far) to see how carbonated it was. Since its my first brew I just want to see/taste the different stages of the process. I was surprised to find that the one I opened had zero carbonation, same as the first one I opened at about 5 days. It has been at room temp (70) and I opened and poured it at room temp. Definately used enough priming sugar, it was only in primary for 2 weeks, and the only thing I can see is that there isnt any sediment in the bottle. Am I supposed to try and get some yeast in the bottling bucket?

You shouldn't have to do anything after 2 weeks in primary - there is usually plenty of yeast still suspended in the beer for carbonation.

Was there any hiss or anything at all when you opened the bottle?

Your beer isn't carbonated because it's only been in the bottles for 13 days. You will be amazed what another week to 10 days will do for it.

Yeah, just let it go longer. I've had batches that took 5 weeks to carb up, but most are good in 3. Gently rolling the bottles to rouse the yeast might speed things up, and can't hurt.

Your beer isn't carbonated because it's only been in the bottles for 13 days. You will be amazed what another week to 10 days will do for it.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt expecting it to be ready. But from everything I have read I should have something. I know it wont be dissolved into the beer yet. I must admit it was a bummer to get absolutely nothing. Good thing I have another batch ready to bottle in 2 days.

You got a slight hiss, that's something :)

Usually they do have noticeable carbonation by 2 weeks, but not always. I had at least one batch that after 5 weeks I was sure was not going to carb well enough, it did finally come around after rolling the bottles, warming them up and waiting another 2.

Back