potential fermentation problem - St Chuck's Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
Hello all - not sure how many are familiar with the recipe, but it recommends WYeast Scottish Ale at 62 F. Well, not surprisingly, I've got no activity 24 hrs later. Should I bump up the temp or should I stick to recipe?

Thanks
kc

I'd say be patient and stick to the recipe...that seems a little low for an ale yeast, but I would just wait a little longer....I've had fermentations take awhile to get started before and they have turned out fine.

That's what I thought , too, but a lots of folks seem to rave about this recipe so I thought I'd stick to it, but I am impatient....

I have a brewing buddy who uses that yeast in a lot of different beers. I know he has fermented beers with that yeast in the high 50's. Just be patient - it should work at 62.

Did you make a starter?

It is going now , but much slower than what I am used to with 1056.

I have not gotten into the habit of doing a starter yet - perhaps I should if I keep fermenting at lower temps.

It is going now , but much slower than what I am used to with 1056.

I have not gotten into the habit of doing a starter yet - perhaps I should if I keep fermenting at lower temps.

You'll find that the lag time will be shorter, in most cases, if you make a starter. The fermentation will be more vigorous as well.

Wyeast usually recommend for cooler fermentations that you start around 20-22C and bring the temperature down after fermentation has started.

Latest posts

Back