Need Help with Web Page.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You guys Rock. There is nary a better educated group of fellas (and Gals) in all the world.
I need a bit of help with a web page I put together for a volunteer organization..When You google it, it shows on page 5. How do I get it to show up on the first page?

Get about 10,000 of your closest friends to link to the site!

Seriously - it is a challenge to get front page rankings, especially for competitive keywords. It takes a combination of quality content, serious effort, lots of high quality links and even a bit of luck since google changes their weighting regularly.

Some ideas: solicit links from related sites, make sure the keywords you are targeting appear on your site with some frequency, post to places that your target audience visits. Get several sites with really big page ranking to link to you (usually this is tough).

Don't bother with "paid links", black hat scams, autoposters, bots, and other "get to the front page quick" schemes. Most don't work, and if they do you will likely find yourself reported, banned or blacklisted eventually.

Cheers,
Brad

People might tell you to add meta tags and other stuff - but that's not the way it works any more. I only bring that up because I'm constantly hearing people talk about keywords and tags still today. Google ranks your site based on how many other sites link to your site.

What you need is to have something useful on your site. Useful enough to have back links. The more sites that link to your site, the higher your ranking. Of course, those sites are ranked, too, so the more sites that link to them increase your ranking as well.

It all has to do with interconnectivity, and it has 100% to do with how useful your site is to other useful sites. In other words, there's nothing more you can do than just bringing something good to the game.

Back